1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is it that when you're knackered you're permanently starving?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by egyptgirl, Feb 25, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Or is it just me?
    Today, I've eaten a fry up, brown toast, a Portugese custard tart, hot chocolate with cream, a tuna sandwich, fruit and I'm bloody starving.
    I can't wait for my fiance to get home so I can cook tea and eat it.

2. egyptgirl

Or is it just me?
    Today, I've eaten a fry up, brown toast, a Portugese custard tart, hot chocolate with cream, a tuna sandwich, fruit and I'm bloody starving.
    I can't wait for my fiance to get home so I can cook tea and eat it.

3. i'm just in from work, kettle on, biscuit tin open.knowing i have to go get ready for an evening out makes me want to never leave the sofa.

4. I hate going out on a Friday night. If I can, I try to arrange to go straight from work so that I don't go home first. Otherwise I am useless! (Well, more useless than normal!)

5. egyptgirl

Hate going out on a Friday night - if I have to go out, then I don't dare sit down when I get home. I just keep going...then stay in bed later on Saturday morning.

6. not getting enough sleep is directly correlated with overeating
    get more sleep!
    go to bed early or lie in later - whichever suits you
    if you want to lose/maintain your weight - this isn't your imagining - it's a well-documented fact

7. egyptgirl

Actually, I need to put on weight - no matter how much I eat, it doesn't seem to be happening!
    I'm jetlagged too - so that doesn't help. Did manage 9 hours sleep last night so maybe today will be better...

8. do you weigh less than you used to or less than you'd like? i have a couple of naturally thin friends who are stuck that way - but if you've been losing weight, you might want to check with your gp - it coud be an over-active thyroid or something ike that
    hope you're gettng your sleeping pattern sorted now

9. egyptgirl

I was rushed into hospital after Christmas and they told me when they discharged me that I was clinically underweight and I needed to put on at least a stone - I am being monitored by my GP.
    I do have problems with my thyroid but I take Thyroxine for it.
    I think once I get my sleeping pattern back on track, I'll be fine.
    I've just never experienced this before - I have a huge meal and then 15 minutes later I feel as hungry as I did before I've even eaten it!

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Is your idea of a huge meal the same as mine?

11. egyptgirl

I'm half-Greek...we didn't grow up with small portions!

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Sorry if I'm mistaken but this sound like a thread about the OP being able to stuff her face without putting on any weight!

13. being underweight can be not much fun - not that i have personal experience [​IMG], but i have a couple of friends who are seriously skinny and hate it, and another who had an over-active thyroid and whose weight plummeted and that wasn't fun either

14. I was seriously underweight for years, firstly when I was anorexic, then when my kids were young.
    There is a link to lack of sleep - my GP ordered me to sleep! Lack of sleep means you are using up far too much energy, rather than allowing your body to regenerate.
    I now have the tendency to put on weight - this is thyroid linked. But I do now ensure I get enough sleep and my moods are MUCH better!
    And I am not a big wobbly thing yet either *fingers crossed*
    Sleep is goooooooooood.

15. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Are you sure you didn't just have a couple of spliffs earlier, and now have the munchies? [​IMG]

16. egyptgirl

Positive.