1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is it so hard to say 'No thank you'?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by minnieminx, May 31, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was at an interview today. Lesson this morning and went well, though I was unimpressed with the children's ability and the manner of the staff observing.

Looking round the school, milling about, chatting to children and staff and so on for a few hours meant I wasn't at all sure. Thought I 'd stay for the interview and see what they asked and said there to then make my mind up. By the end of the interview, I knew I didn't really want the post, but still said 'yes please' when they asked if I would accept!

What a twit! Going to phone in a while and withdraw, secretary was lovely so I'll get her to pass the message on. Feel a right lemon now though!

Saying no to a school shouldn't be all that tricky should it?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was at an interview today. Lesson this morning and went well, though I was unimpressed with the children's ability and the manner of the staff observing.

Looking round the school, milling about, chatting to children and staff and so on for a few hours meant I wasn't at all sure. Thought I 'd stay for the interview and see what they asked and said there to then make my mind up. By the end of the interview, I knew I didn't really want the post, but still said 'yes please' when they asked if I would accept!

What a twit! Going to phone in a while and withdraw, secretary was lovely so I'll get her to pass the message on. Feel a right lemon now though!

Saying no to a school shouldn't be all that tricky should it?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, what a situation to be in, Minnie!
    But mind you tell the lovely secretary that you have decided that YOU aren't the right person for THEM, not the other way round . . .
    Best wishes

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I confess I lied totally and said I'd been waiting to hear from another school and they had just offered me a post which I'd accepted.

I couldn't tell them the truth and am not very creative when lying. Definitely couldn't lie face to face.

Sooo need a chat with HT tomorrow. Wonder if he'll let me carry on applying and release me before xmas...?

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, disappointing to go through all that and then decide the school wouldn't suit.It is hard to look someone in the face and say you'd not want the post if offered, so don't beat yourself up about it.
    Theo started a great tradition - to post some consolation Flowers . . . ,

so take a look after I've had time to arrange a suitable 'delivery'.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Naaaa no consolation necessary. I'm not upset. And it was a doddle compared to some interviews. As well as a cool day out. Got some great ideas for a maths display.

And flowers will just die cos it half term and I'm getting pished for the week...practising tonight and will be ready in earnest tomorrow eve. :)

But thank you.

7. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

See it as a win-win. You still have a job and some poor sap whos had X interviews where X is an integer significantly higher than 1 may have gotten a teaching job at last.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not quite, all the other candidates have posts at the moment as well.

9. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

well I suppose whoever was appointed will leave a vacancyelsewhere, giving someone a job down the chain somewhere!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL, liking your optimism.

11. I have withdrawn from two posts where I went for interview. The first I had the interview and told them after due consideration the school was not for me, when they asked if I was a firm candidate.
    The second time I knew even before they got to the interview (so did a friend of mine who went). She didn't get through to the afternoon interview. I did but then decided to have a quiet word with the head and say after spending time in the staffroom and walking around the school with the children it wasn;t the school for me. She asked why, and I explained that it was a suburb school and the children were very well drilled and I felt almost too well drilled and complient and that I prefered city schools where there is a bit more of a challenge - I didn;t like to say the whole school ethos was extremely middle class LOL
    I didn't find it hard to be honest at all so find it strange other people do. I also have friends who have withdrawn before or after interview and the heads just accecpted it and were fine with it :) I'd always worry they would find out I had lied to them if I said I had a job elsewhere when I hadn't.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I only sort of worry, it's not like I'd want a job there in the future.
    No way could I have said that the children were clearly keen on violence and the staff were happy to accept this so I'd not be able to support the ethos of the school.

I've withdrawn twice before.

Once I was the only candidate being interviewed for a head of maths post in a middle school. There was also just one candidate being interviewed for head of art. We both withdrew after the tour of the school. Didn't feel bad, just said I didn't feel I wanted to work there as it was so different to my current school it would be too big a change.

The other time I withdrew after the tour and my lesson. I asked for a quiet word with the HT. We smiled at each other and she said 'this open plan teaching isn't going to work for you is it?' I said that it probably wasn't and we parted happily. She forwarded my name to another school who were looking as well.

But this time felt different. I was rejecting the behaviour of both children and staff because I disapproved. So a bit harder to say so.