1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is it so difficult to find a good book?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by littlejackhorner, Oct 26, 2019.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

Is it just me or do others find it difficult to find a really good book? I love it when a story really grabs me and I feel empathy with the characters. I cherish moments reading a book like this but also dread it coming to an end. The problem is I have to wade through lots of drivel before finding the perfect book and I also think I am becoming far less tolerant of poor writing. I have just finished " The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes " and thoroughly enjoyed it but am now at a loss. I am picking up and rejecting other books because they don't match up. Is it just me or do others feel like this?Any recommendations out there?

sbkrobson likes this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'd say be less demanding of your reading matter. You cant expect every book to entrance you but you can read book reviews and choose things other people have praised. I'm in a book group and read lots of things that aren't really my sort of thing but its really interesting to hear what other people enjoy. Recently I've really enjoyed books by Elif Shafak, Ian McEwan, and Patrick Gale but I just don't expect every book to be as absorbing as some books by these authors are for me. At the moment I'm reading Girls of Slender Means by Muriel Spark - quite a strange book, and I'm looking forward to finding out what the others think about it. I'm glad I've read it.

3. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

If in a bookshop, I read the first page to see if the book grabs me. Of course, not all books are so instantly engrossing so if not grabbed immediately, I'll have a flick through a few more pages to see if I want to continue.

With amazon you can often see a few pages online free, even if you then decide to buy a paper version from an independent bookseller.......

I spend ages browsing online and lots of time in bookshops.

4. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I’ve just finished reading Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran - lovely, easy read with recipes included!

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

One man’s meat .... blah blah blah. I am gobsmacked o_O at what passes for ‘ laudable literature ‘ * these days especially those ‘ten a penny ‘ psychological thrillers with ‘ a twist you ‘ll never see coming ‘ - ha ha ha ! ( *and very dubious recommendations from peers to boot ). Just awful .I am screaming silently ‘who reads / writes this stuff ? ‘ :eek: Maybe you just need to be of a mindset where you win some / lose some :rolleyes:

littlejackhorner likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It s not possible to recommend a book to somebody you don't know with the expectation that they will enjoy it because you have yourself.
    Have you tried using this website (link below)-it functions in many ways. I love to read reviews of books i have already read on it, and i love to hunt down new things, also reading reviews of unseen stuff. I am also a prolific contributor to the review aspect. It is my favourite website of all time; if you like to read, you can spend hours on it-here-
    https://www.goodreads.com/

My main criticism of the site is that if you are new to it, it is not immediately apparent how you can use it. They layout is bitty and the most important functions of it are understated.
    For yourself, you can use it to generate recommendations based on some of the best things you ave read, and then you can read the reviews on those recommendations.

Interesting challenge-think of a book which does not appear on the site.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 9:29 PM
  7. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

Thanks all for the responses. Yes I know I probably need to be less fussy but when something is badly written I focus on that rather than the underlying story. @sbkrobson thanks for the website. I will have a look.
    Just started the tattooist of Auschwitz and I think that will be a good read.