1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is it important for pupils to know their level in Mathematics?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by bigkid, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Nice
    Now DM, IIRC part of a whole school inspection is that teachers are demonstrating the schools policies?
    If the SLT state teachers will <strike>shower kids with</strike> share the working grades and a teacher didn't, where would that sit in terms of being deemed outstanding? I also refuse to follow the school policy of using green pens to mark and also do not stick <u>half</u> termly target grades on the front of kids books and believe this would not be seen as 'outstanding practice' regardless of what it was replaced with.
    They are questions BTW, not a statement [​IMG]

2. Curlygirly could you give me some more information about all these HODs who've successfully reported rogue inspectors? Whereon earth did you get the idea that that actually happens? I'd like to send one who's done it a bottle of bubbly.

3. I think outstanding schools who are confident that they are and will be allow their teachers to teach.
    Those who are poor and run by clowns simply force generic templates on every teacher and stifle what would have made the school successful (and as a result oftsed not coming so often)
    Fire fighting schools Vs forward thinking schools will differ.
    A school I have worked at made all teachers complete formal lesson plans on school proformas on a paper copy for every lesson to a standard where they would be observed JUST in case ofsted come in. As a result people didnt think about teaching and learning but just played the admin game and the very few good teachers left the school.
    I appreciate behaviour management strategies being universal (ie letter home after 3 detentions etc) having to be universally embraced but most other aspects should be (IMO) free for the teacher to dictate

4. Yeah me too.

At his retirement speech the head of the first school I taught at decribed headship as being like trying to drive a carriage being pulled by a large team of gifted, unbroken stallions (his middle management). He wasn't complaining.
    There was this constant, negotiated tension between what should be universal and coordinated and what shouldn't be. The assumption was that this was natural.

However Ofsted outstanding ratings go to schools who are all singing from precisely the same hymn sheet. No more nurturing of giftedness and originality in middle or senior management. The problem is that even if you appoint the most docile, young, toe-the-line middle managers, they change. As they grow into the job they naturally want to be more creative. Watching their children develop changes their perceptions of things. Meanwhile the constant lack of feedback to inspectors means that they become more and more distant from reality.

DM you've got a trainee inspector at your school. How's that going? At E we had a trainee inspector who decided to come and do supply at our school to explore the reality of the inspectorate system for himself in his own time. He was so completely horrified by the difference between what he'd read in the reports and the reality of the school that he decided there and then that he couldn't become an inspector. Dunno if he stuck to that of course but he may have done.
    How are you getting on with nurturing the next generation? Do you think your inspector will properly understand a small school in a deprived area?

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You raise some interesting points beta.
    The key question has to be about pupils learning. Part of the new post 2009 inspection process is that senior leaders do joint obs with inspectors. I've done this in all 3 new framework inspections I've been part of. With 6 different inspectors. The first thing they ask you is what grade would you hive that lesson? It's to see if they agree with your judgements. Without fail each one had tried to argue that " well it had elements of outstanding" I found that a good robust " it was outstanding because of x, y and z" has worked every time.
    It's a game they play. They want to see that you know what outstanding teaching looks like and can justify it. If you can they'll give the grade. I think too many joint observers are too timid and overawed by Mr and Mrs ofsted and if ofsted barter then down a grade, they just accept it.
    Saddoe that I am, I know the grade descriptors for teaching and if I think one of the teachers has given an outstanding lesson I'll tell them so. I would add that the same goes for inadequate!

Systems are a different matter, but even if not everyone is following school systems, if the proportion of teaching they see is right, there's leeway there too.

The question we always ask about the systems in my school is " does it make a difference to the Children's learning?" if the answer is no, and there's no legal requirement to have the system, we dont do it.

6. That's what they said about the national curriculum and the national numeracy strategy.

Curlygirly you were going to tell us about all these HODs who've challenged and overturned inappropiate inspection results.
    In my experiece Ofsted results have only been challenged when there have been well established heads in place to challenge them. There rest of the schools have just been left to rot. But I am really open to hearing any evidence otherwise.
    Also where well established heads have challenged decisions, the victories they have won have narrow, pyric or eventaully meaningless. For example all the heads in small schools in our area got together and complained that aspects of what they did were not being recognised. They were invited to contribute to the new primary curriculum and spent years doing so to ensure that the value of their work was fed into the sytem. Then it was abolished before it was introduced.
    All I'm looking for is a little bit of evidence to show otherwise Curlygirly. Please quote just one HOD who's made a difference to Osted.
    I know it all sounds good in theory. And many people who've been rated outstanding are so chuffed with that they're loathe to criticise it (personnally I didn't find it reassuring, just politiclaly useful). And there are some people who've been rated outstanding who are genuinely outstanding. All that goes without saying. What about all the outstanding teachers who've been rated unsatisfactory or satisfactory curlygirly. What happened to them? Did they successfully challenge Ofsted and get things changed? I've known many who didn't/couldn't and it's been horrific to watch. Please, please, please introduce me to the ones who did.

7. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

A quick update:
    I showed everyone the guidance and they said they don't really care what the guidance says. They have been advised that OFSTED demand that pupils know what level they are so we are going to make sure that all pupils know what level they are.
    and the spoonfeeding will continue.
    Apparently we can't focus on ks3 until our KS4 results are sufficiently good that we can stop constantly firefighting in KS4. Cart before the horse in my opinion.

8. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Indeed. When sorting out my department, KS3 came first, and results shifted on well before we managed to have real impact at KS4. Start from the bottom and build up...

9. If it's any consolation, I've know HODs who've been through this, have nailed the KS4 results and have gone on to make some really meaningful long term changes in their schools.
    You're going to need masses of interventions. Watch out you don't get caught by teachers being off sick and having an imapact on results or anything like that.