1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

why is google search sending me to random search sites?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by screech, Jun 24, 2012.

1. This is really annoying, when i type in a search to google search bar the link to the site i want comes up then when i click on that i get sent to some random search engine eg A-Z easysearch?
    What is going on?
    I've scanned for malwear and have AVG running.
    Help me !

2. This is really annoying, when i type in a search to google search bar the link to the site i want comes up then when i click on that i get sent to some random search engine eg A-Z easysearch?
    What is going on?
    I've scanned for malwear and have AVG running.
    Help me !

3. Do you have that buzzdock thing?

I have found that the screen refreshes twice and if I click on the site I want before the refresh I get sent to another site as I actually click on one of the buzzdock thingies!
    If you wait for the refreshes to occur the site you wanted is usually an inch or so down screen....

It is damnably annoying!

4. i don't think i've got the buzzdock thing, but it sounds like the same annoying thing. No like it, gonna sulk.

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

The google toolbar is not the actual google toolbar, it's a fake.
    Where did you download the google toolbar from?
    Does anyone else use your computer who downloaded the google toolbar for you?
    You need to uninstall the google tool bar and download it from google.
    Buzzdock is a bit of software that links to your web browser and forces additional ads on websites. You need to uninstall the Buzzdock ad-on.
    AVG is free. It's not very good. You really need to invest in Norton Anti-virus to get good protection for your PC
    This info came from my nerdy son.

6. Ah ha!

Mozilla have a section on buzzdock. It usually sneaks in with PageRage or similar. Go to Add/Remove programmes and uninstall/remove yontoo and it all goes away!
    Yay! It is no longer there!
    And I have Sophos - work laptop comes with that, not Norton.
    Home PC has Norton and buzzdock got through that too as it is an add-on or app not a virus (apparently) - though obviously I have now zapped that too!
    Whatever, it is gone! Yippee!

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I notice you've said this several times. Yet AVG has been recommended in several computer magazines, whereas Norton, despite its expense is notorious for causing problems and is difficult to remove if you don't get on with it.

8. thanks eveyone, will play around with your ideas and see if I can make any headway.
    Cheers

9. dozymare1957

I'm going on my nerdy son's comments. He repairs PCs with both hardware and software problems. The PCs with AVG installed are the ones that have the most problems. Those with Norton have the least. Norton is what he insisted that I install on all our PCs - there are five laptops and two desktops as well as two MacBooks in the house. We've had Norton for as long as I can remember and haven't managed to download viruses. I've installed stupid stuff like toolbars or ad-ons which has caused me problems - I thought they were viruses but he assured me today that even I haven't managed to get a virus on my laptop.
    There are other highly recommended products including Kaspersky and you're right, AVG gets some amazing recommendations. Personally, I wouldn't trust free anti-virus software but I'm cynical.
    Norton is very user friendly and updates itself automatically. I have something called Norton 1. It runs in the background. I thought it covered three laptops but it actually does five. If necessary I can buy cover for more devices.

10. AVG is great. It also runs in the background and updates itself automatically. There are upgrades if you want a bigger range of service but I've used the free one for years with no problems. Norton is slow and expensive.

11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

To quote Bauble, Norton is ;like herpes.

12. We now buy the extended AVG coverage and I will be really glad to get rid of Norton!
    Every IT bod I know swears by AVG, in college and out.
    But I have never asked at the PC clinic style places. I wonder if the volume of PCs they see gives them a different perspective?
    Or is the average AVGer a bit less puuter savvy and prone to clicking on anything???

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

13. dozymare1957

This isn't meant to start an argument but have you used Norton or only every used AVG?
    I think people choose the AV software based on recommendations from others. Chances are we only ever experience one as long as nothing goes wrong.
    I've had a McAffee in the past and it worked well. We had AVG in the past too and did get viruses.
    I use Norton because it's what nerdy son tells me to use. He recommends it because the majority of PCs he has to remove viruses from have AVG installed and the least number have Norton. He's seriously into gaming and wouldn't have anything that slowed his desktop and laptop down. Norton runs in the background too and also updates itself.
    If anyone is interested you can get Norton 360 from Norton ATM for £29.99 and this will protect three machines for a year.

14. Norton is horrific. It is expensive, it steals all of your memory slowing down your computer, it is like a parasite and is very, very hard to get rid of once you've got it. I used to plan an online game that would not function with norton running. As soon as I got rid of norton, it was absolutely fine.
    AVG is free, uses minimal memory, runs in the background quite happily and does what it says on the tin. Just because it's free it doesn't mean that it's no good - I've never used anything bur AVG and never had any problems.
    People doing stupid things might have, but anyone with a bit of common sense when browsing will find AVG perfectly fine!

15. He must have an extremely powerful computer (likely if he is seriously into gaming) - on my fairly average PC it used to cause no end of problems with gaming.

16. dozymare1957

Yep!
    Anyway, everyone has their opinion and it's not worth getting into an argument about. Those who hate Norton will blame it for their computer running slowly, when it probably needs defragging, or for any other problems they have.
    It's like makes of car, isn't it? We all have our favourite.

17. My dad had norton and it drove him mad, slowed everything to a standstill and took about two hours on the phone to their support to uninstall, reinstall and still not work properly. You sound like a norton salesperson.

18. dozymare1957

Then I can understand why you hate it. It's horses for courses, isn't it?

19. Nah, he was pretty good at maintaing his system.

20. dozymare1957

Back in the day Norton did cause systems to run slowly but nowadays PCs are so powerful that AVG and Norton use the same amount of memory and this is no longer a problem.
    The problem with AVG is that it is free, so lots of people use it. This means that the hackers target it, hence more viruses.
    Nerdy son has just told me that he has an average computer - nothing special.