1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is everything getting so complicated when the Internet is supposed to make things simpler?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I've had close on fifty-nine years on the planet and I think the 'free time' garnered from the use of technology isn't as fulfilling as time spent peeling potatoes, scrubbing the step or swapping out track rod ends.

Technology tears all the joy out of tasks. This morning I've done three loads of washing, vacuumed through the house and had the oven on. I've put some stuff on the clothes line so I'm using the natural warmth of the sun but, having done a day's work in half a day, I'm now on the computer pratting about!

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

You are clearly a Luddite. It is quite obvious that @racroesus was attempting to fit 10 new windows in his tower. :D

EmanuelShadrack and Nellyfuf2 like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There was your first mistake.

les25paul and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  4. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Very well done for getting there in the end. You gained some excellent experience from it all.

Downloading an ISO and creating a bootable USB device is always a useful technique to learn.

It sounds like the problems were mostly PS-related, particularly given the size and resources of the vendor. Still, some blame would probably still rest with Microsoft for changing critical stuff without providing software vendors with details sufficiently in advance.

Not enough memory for a fix? That sounds odd, but with Windows 10 anything is possible I suppose. How much memory have you got on the machine?

Well done for persevering. I spend a huge amount of my time googling and researching various problems. And you got there in the end - most people would have given up long beforehand. The next time something like that happens, or someone you know has a similar problem, you'll have something to try.

Yes, I almost always allow the early adopters to iron out the bugs etc. Nothing wrong with that. In fact that's my rough strategy with Windows 10. I'm sticking with Windows 8.1 until it's no longer supported (January 2023). After that, I might switch to Windows 10, if it's usable by then. If not, I'll probably put Windows 10 on one or possible two machines (for e.g. printing, and pdf manipulation with PaperPort), and the rest I'll switch to Linux.

5. EmanuelShadrack

I wouldn't recommend using Chrome to remember passwords. Certainly don't use that method for any website you've purchased stuff from.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Here is some fun.

I need to close a building society account and transfer the money to my bank ASAP. After logging in to their website it tells me I have to close it by sending them a secure message, and links me to a page. Page does not recognise me or my login. This is at about 8:30 this am. I can't phone them before 9. So I have another look at the account as logged in and there is a box for messages. So I send them the message saying to close it. No reply, no acknowledgement. So I phone them to check, after 9 by now. Man on the phone says oh no you can't close it that way but I can do it over the phone, security questions follow. Oh we can't send more than 25k in one go so you will get 25K next working day (Tuesday) and the rest the following day! Whose ****ing money is it? As I have already mentioned, foreign fraudsters seem to be able to shove milions, if not billions, through our banks with no bloody problem, or nick hundreds of thousand off us, so why are we f***ed about by these institutions!!??

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

However the skill of translating this into English is even more useful.

blazer likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So not that giant American megalith Amazon?

9. EmanuelShadrack

Your kiddo is indeed taking a huge risk. You could liken it to going out and leaving your front door wide open. "I haven't been burgled so far...". How reassuring.

Different passwords for every account - that's the way to go. There have been a few threads recently about password strategies. I think it's well worth the time investigating things in depth, and working out a decent system.

Personally, I have no problems whatsoever with passwords. I have no idea what almost all of mine are. I've made several payments with PayPal over the last few weeks, and entered my password each time (i.e. NOT allowing the browser to "kindly" remember it for me, if indeed that's possible with PayPal). I have no idea of even a single character from my password though. (Of course I could find out, if I really had to.)

10. EmanuelShadrack

Certainly not with Amazon.

Browser passwords aren't secure, as far as I know. Perhaps one form of defence is having to log on to the machine in the first place, but often people don't bother with log on passwords. Once in, you can easily view the saved passwords. I've done this a few times with people who I was helping out.

I was once helping out this woman migrate to another laptop. I mentioned that any passwords she'd saved on the old machine would need to be entered again on the new one. I went into Chrome, saw all the sites and the plain-text passwords, and saw that every site that allowed it had the same 6 character password, the last three characters of which were "123".

11. EmanuelShadrack

I was replying to rac. He knows what I meant. I could explain further if I wanted to.

12. EmanuelShadrack

Very good :D

13. EmanuelShadrack

Having a 25K daily limit is understandable. If it's fraud, and they're forced to pay up for the losses, they would want to limit those.

Yes it's poor show from them, but I think it was optimistic to expect everything to work smoothly. Why did you need to transfer the money at such short notice? I'm not blaming you or anything, I'm simply curious.

Fraudsters are able to use the system to their advantage because (usually) they pay for the expertise. It's like tax-dodging.

14. EmanuelShadrack

I know how I'd like to spend my free time, and peeling potatoes doesn't figure highly on my list. I peeled some the day before yesterday in fact, and I don't particularly look back fondly at the experience.
    That's your opinion. I disagree. Technology can be wonderful. It's like a knife - it can be used for good or bad.
    Why are you pratting about on the computer then? No-one's forcing you to do so.

15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

House purchase. I know I'll have to physically go to my bank to do the transfer out. 25K is peanuts in these circumstances, and the ******* about might delay completion now. As said, it hasn't stopped Russian oligarchs and "Oil Rich" Arabs buying up Chelsea has it.

16. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Is that 1903 build? My wife's computer is complaining about that. I just have had to sort out some problems with the last update which basically broke Firefox. Eventually I downloaded a new install and that sorted it out. I'm just wondering what to do about the 1903.

An ISO is something you download, you can recognise if you download one of these by the filename (eg myfile.iso). The bit after the period is called the extension and tells the computer what to do with the file. An ISO is a way of keeping a whole host of individual files together in a particular way. You need a special program to copy it onto a DVD or USB stick where is magically opens up into a whole host of files/folders. You can then stick it into a computer when you start it up and tell the computer to boot from this rather than the normal hard drive. Whatever is on the USB/DVD can then make changes to your normal drive in a way not possible if you booted into it instead.

EmanuelShadrack and lanokia like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Now he'll think he's a clique of you and him.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Thanks for this...

irs1054 likes this.
  19. EmanuelShadrack

You certainly feel you're back in 1903 once you've installed it.

Note:
    I haven't actually installed version 1903 of Windows 10. I'm foregoing factual accuracy for comic effect. What's that you say? What comic effect? Why you impertinent...

20. EmanuelShadrack

No harm in that. Well, subject to Malificent's approval, of course.