1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is everything getting so complicated when the Internet is supposed to make things simpler?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Aug 23, 2019.

1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Use another device and find out. Please let us know the result.

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How about you doing that instead? I didn't get where I am today by doing the donkey work for others.

3. LondonCanary

I don't need to. I know you are wrong and wanted you to find out for yourself.
    We know you were a capitalist.

4. Duke of York

Every credit to them, when I showed the manager the receipt for the excess I paid, he immediately put his hand in his pocket, brought out a wad of notes and paid what he promised to.

Bloody Eastern Europeans, coming over here and being honest... What on earth is Britain coming to? What right do they think they have to undermine Thatcherite values?

5. LondonCanary

The cleaning company guy is pretty sharp. It was the best result for him.

6. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

What about passwords then? My kiddo has just one and laughs when I produce my password book. I'll get the last laugh when kiddo's accounts are mugged.
    I had to ring the bank yesterday. They asked me for the four digit security code they had sent me in 2014.
    I could not stop laughing.
    So they asked me some questions instead.

lanokia likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So true... chrome remember mine so I don't have to. I know I should stop doing that... so weak...

8. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Listen up people...

I've had a few, so might not be entirely coherent. What's that you say? No change there then? How dare you...

The marvelous thing is that anything works at all. There's a lot going on behind the scenes to make all these things work. If you approach things with an attitude of "Well, I doubt this'll work...", then you'll be very pleasantly surprised if/when it does. And if it doesn't work, you think "Oh well, I wasn't expecting it to work anyway".

Here endeth the lesson for today. Amen.

9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

So many car parks etc now insist on their customers having smartphones and credit cards. I have both, but many people don't. Plus some people want to pay with cash as they don't like giving out their details. Most cinemas now have few staff, and expect people to use payment points-how are children who aren't old enough to have cards going to pay? Should they have to drag their parents in with them? Plus I think most teachers would agree teaching was much better and simpler before email-you had far fewer messages and parents didn't expect you to be available 24/7!

Nellyfuf2 likes this.
  10. Duke of York

It was the best result for both of us. I don't imagine the windscreen was damaged intentionally. It just happened while it was in their care. He accepted responsibility without a fuss and coughed up. If he'd haggled, it might have dragged on for munce and munce and munce with neither of us being any better off. I'll use his business again and he'll be half way to getting his money back.

colpee likes this.
  11. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Why exactly is it not possible to say "I don't consult, or reply to email outside these hours..."? I might reply in my spare time, out of the goodness of my own heart, but I'm not making any guarantees whatsoever that I will.

If parents expect you to reply, then their expectations are faulty. If the parents are backed up by SLT on this point, then it's time to find another workplace.

That's my opinion anyway. Maybe I wouldn't last five minutes if I went back to teaching now, as I'd be fired not for bad teaching as such, but for not going along with pointless time-wasting tasks.

lanokia and Duke of York like this.
  12. Duke of York

Throughout my entire working life, I was best described as being unmanagable. It wasn't that I was ever difficult, it's just that I wasn't about to put up with BS in my life to make someone else's life easier. I was never shown the door. I knew well enough where it was and would be half way through it when those who tried to manage me came running to ask where I was going, ultimately to ask for a compromise.

It never bothered me unduly if I was sent a work-related email during my free-time so long as I, and I alone, made the choice about whether I wanted to reply to it, just as I make the choice whether or not to spend my free time replying to a post on here.

If I got admonished by TES for not replying, I'd tell them to screw themselves, because it would be bizarre for them to expect me to. The same applies to employers.

les25paul and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why are you checking email 24/7? Once I go home I'm done. Don't know how to check at home and even though colleagues have offered to teach me how... I'm strangely reluctant to learn.

14. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Yup. Always play the "dumb" card regarding this.

Although sometimes I wasn't playing...

lanokia likes this.
  15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Same.

When the "facility" to access emails from home was first made available it required a memory stick with some info on it to allow you to login remotely from the school system. Such sticks were in short supply and had to be applied for. It amazed me how many wanted them and were quite proud to show them off in a "look at me and how keen I am" way. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh yes... I remember them.

Probably still have a few around in a drawer somewhere. Never could get mine to work. ;)

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I recently upgraded to the 'latest' Windows 10 release. It went okay on my tower system but my laptop didn't cope. A straight update failed, a running to Microsoft update failed, a download and run update failed, a download to USB and boot update failed. Eventually, I downloaded an ISO to the USB pen and booted from it and achieved success but very few programmes survived. I eventually got Kaspersky on and then Photoshop Elements. I was running elements last night but couldn't do a quick smart fix because there wasn't enough memory. I had used it happily before updating. I dimly remembered that PS allowed changes to memory allocation but when I tried to go into performance the PS gave me a cryptic message. Trying to do a small change to a photo closed the program down with no warning.
    So Google. Updating to Windows 10 1803 and later makes a mess. There is a regedit fix but it didn't work the first time. The fix was for a 32-bit version not my 64-bit version. More Google, fix should work with 64-bit. Tried again, it all worked.
    Too many companies selling stuff that has to integrate with other stuff and relying on early adopters to sort out the problems.

EmanuelShadrack and Nellyfuf2 like this.
  18. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

The best example of the nonsense is exemplified in the TP website. A nightmare.
    HMRC - they had a problem with one phone provider which meant anyone with that phone provider couldn't log in.
    And then there are door codes. Which have to be changed regularly. I remember keys with fondness.........
    And the setting of alarms. Oh the stress.
    Our Central Heating controller has been dodgy. Even the chap that came to service the boiler couldn't sort that out. It had defaulted to German and was turning the heating on randomly.
    And printers! Printers that lose their drivers. Printers that update their drivers with apps and stuff. Everyone at our 'ouse is surprised when the printer works. It does as it pleases. Currently, it will print everything poster size even though I have repeatedly told it not to...

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My chromebook remembers mine too. However I have just changed my android phone. The old one still could access my emails etc because of this. I want to recycle it!!! It was recommended that you reset to factory settings. I did this and true enough the phone is now inaccessible unless I treat it like a new phone and set up an account. However there is still that nagging feeling that all the data is in there somewhere.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I read your post but you may as well have been speaking Chinese for all the comprehension I had!

les25paul likes this.