1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is everyone so snappy on here lately?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bbibbler, Apr 9, 2011.

1. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

It often happens when there is a core of regular posters who feel they own the forum, they feel that they have to comment on every topic and do not have the inteligence to reply properly.

The forum becomes a private club with in-jokes and exclusive/excluding behaviour.

2. Yes I agree - but I see your name often commenting on many subjects.
    As for replying properly; there are many insults thrown including some from you.
    Ironically, you've spelled intelligence incorrectly.

3. You couldn't make it up, eh?

4. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Well, I don't have a problem with that sort of thing either. I have made several friends on this forum but I would certainly hope that I don't exclude others. Give me a kick up the behind if I do.
    It is just the nastiness of some people who are just bloody minded as far as I'm concerned when people ask questions that don't 'please' them in some way. If you think it is a worthless question then just don't answer it for goodness sake. It is like that insidious bullying that happens in schools, nothing overt but just attempts to make people feel like *****. I hate that ****.

5. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Can't think of anything inteligent to say, so jsut check the spelling

Yassi asked why the forum is so bad now, I aanswer and 2 people jump in to prove me correct.

6. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

That comes back to my point about some people thinking that they have to respond to every thread. Any new poster on this forum seems to have to pass inspection before they are allowed to post.

The isidious bullying mainly comes from 1 poster,

7. Actually I jumped in to point out that you too excessively comment and insult.

8. It's because you are an unpleasant individual, Bibbles. Insecure, untruthful and cowardly...
    I know, a very poor return considering the size of your fan club.

9. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

Yasimum - I have to disagree, a forum such as this should not be used for research, it is a way of voicing concerns, asking opinions and understanding situations for those of us brave enough to actually follow-through and move abroad. But using this as a research tool for international teaching would be like allowing students to base entire extended essays upon Wikipedia sources. I think the role of this forum is for people in overseas teaching to come together and share experiences in a community that although virtual allows a measure of familiarity for those participating - why you have recurring inside jokes. When I began looking at overseas teaching I read this forum, but did not comment. I used the information provided to help inform my decisions, but did enough independent research that I was not asking general and vague questions. When I began actually teaching overseas and gained a measure of experience (at just over 7 years now I still have much to learn!) and understanding of the situations involved I felt confident enough to contribute. Seriously, this is not the place for someone to ask "what is the best country?", "what is the best school?", "What unions are there overseas?" (a favorite of mine personally!). This is a place to complain about the lack of culture in Dubai, a place to discuss the relative merits of IB vs. ENC, a place to ask for information about job fairs and a place to relieve stress in a way we might not otherwise be able to. The frustration and inevitable harsh responses are justified.

10. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Well I don't want to get in the middle of something that is obviously not good happening between you two. I must say though, that I have always found FP and bibbler nice people and it does seem to me that people are picking on bibbler a lot lately. Obviously though, I am not aware of what has gone down between you guys.

11. That's possibly because someone with a 'hoilier than thou' attitude keeps having the threads pulled

12. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

With all due respect, momentofclarity, who says that is what the purpose of this forum should be? You obviously feel that way, I feel differently and I'm sure there are lots of people who fall into both camps or others even.
    You use it for your purposes, ignore all the stuff that you feel is not relevant to you and likewise the other people who use it as a source of information can ignore the stuff that is not relevant to them.
    The first thing I do is scan down the list to see what topics interest me. I may scan two or three pages before I find a topic of interest. That might take me, one minute or so. No big deal.

13. holier

14. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

FP, are you upsetting people again?
    There's clearly a need for an anti bullying policy so we can protect the stupid idiots who don't like people giving a different point of view in a robust manner.
    BTW, I've been a bit busy lately, what has bibbler doen to anoy folk, othar than spel bedly?

15. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I gave up civility for Lent.

16. To the best of my memory, I have only had disagreements with Clovis and now Bibbler - I PM'd Bibbler offering to cool heated discussions but my offer was rejected and followed up with another legendary shower checker joke.
    My problem with Bibbler is with him revealing too much about his personal life from four and six years ago that I believe he has made up to get the sympathy vote. No point in going into detail; suffice to say it has got my back up. Whenever, I broach the subject he takes a few days off before coming back and hoping I won't bring it up again.
    As for 'bullying', a comment Bibbler made towards me some weeks ago was an attempt at that, and it fell very sadly to its knees. He now makes references towards my wife as well.
    Nice bloke.

17. MisterMaker

Was that back 1997? You do know most people give up giving up after lent is over.
    Don't know why I'm distracting myself with such trifles (bird's strawberry) when I should be concentrating on the footie.

18. MisterMaker

Better than making passes at her...(so lame)

19. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

True. 'Opinion', for instance, is totally dominated by you and the other habbibbtuals.
    And number 666 is the bbeast of the the lot. Especially in Bbulgarian.
    Right again. So why don't you bbibber off?

20. MisterMaker

If this thread is anything to go by I think bbibler should go change his identity and return with a whole new name and attitude.