1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is America not locking down?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moscowbore, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I know that you seem fond of Ofsted (each to their own). Up until 2010 - the last schoools I was at (supply teaching) had most of the above on the go - and any teacher past 50 was targeted - either by bullying or by putting on capability. I have kept in touch with old colleagues who tell the bar has lowered to 40 - and that very few beyond 50 years of age remain. I think that I covered over 20 schools whilst supplying around Lancashire and Greater Manchester. All were the same regarding the above, except one grammar, and one comprehensive (which has since become and academy and is apparently a place of hell.

Maybe you are lucky - or perhaps you are able to simply block it out ( I know of one colleague who could manage this).

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Which part of America do your friends live in @Corvuscorax? I regularly email a friend in Los Angeles. We've been talking about testing and this is part of her email to me...

Trump has allowed all to be tested free and treatment . It depends on where you live the availability. Here in Orange and LA counties you can look up testing centers. There is much more availability now , hence the increased numbers of people testing positive. They like you to check in with your doctor but increasingly people are going if they want to on their own. My daughter had a free test at a local urgent care center.
    The hospitals are set up now having got the equipment and respirators. It seems to be younger people filling the Intensive Care with milder symptoms that they are recovering from in our area.

It may be different for different areas. I'd be interested to know where your friends live , for comparison.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

They live on the West coast, further North than your friend. Also have relatives in illanois and Nebraska who say similar

4. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

The Governor of Oklahoma has tested positive.

5. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

6. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

My understanding, both from the press and from our eldest son and his wife who live in the States, is that testing for Covid-19 in America is free and widely available. I will try to remember to check with them when they ring on Sunday.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

"I can't read what you have said here, beyond that the response of my friends was "polarised" and where do they live?" I said it was an interesting polarity, not that it was polarised. Those words have different meaning.
    So where do they live? State? Zip code? If we knew that we could research what's available to them. It's not a difficult question.

9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I asked that question yesterday. Asked it again today. Apparently it is difficult to answer.
    You can check out what's available to your friends here
    https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/community-based-testing-sites/index.html#ma

10. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

They should contact the people in charge.
    Governor Gavin Newsom
    1303 10th Street, Suite 1173
    Sacramento, CA 95814
    Phone: (916) 445-2841
    Fax: (916) 558-3160
    https://govapps.gov.ca.gov/gov40mail/
    Governor Tom Wolfe
    Office of the Governor
    508 Main Capitol Building
    Harrisburg, PA 17120
    https://www.governor.pa.gov/contact/#Mail

11. Corvuscorax

I apreciate its kindly meant, but I am not disclosing where abouts in the states I am associated with, as its too identifying. West coast, illanois, Nebraska, those are the three main areas where I have friends and relatives, I am not going to be any more specific.

12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

So just look it up for yourself? Or tell them to look it up?
    https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/community-based-testing-sites/index.html#ma

13. Corvuscorax

Because i have passed on this information, but it isn't working on the ground like it gives the impression of working when you look it up online. They require referral. The referral process requires paying for blood tests and other tests to rule out other causes of sympoms. This is time consuming and expensive, and might not result in a referral at the end of it. That is why.

14. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

That's as may be, but ArtboyUsa knows that he is right, so your friends and relatives must be dealing with alternative facts.......

15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

1,413 reported deaths yesterday in the USA, by far the worst day since 20 May. A tragedy for those families concerned and it seems an unnecessary loss of life given how much we know about Covid19. America is failing to control the virus.

16. LiamD

LiamD Occasional commenter

It's frightening but still there are many who clamour for an immediate return to normality.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Latest polls put Biden 15 points ahead

Trump has sacked his campaign manager (because obviously it cannot be his fault he is crashing in the polls)

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Did I hear that the US govt is going to have the case and death stats delivered straight to them before they're made public? The TV was on but I wasn't paying attention.

19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Are you sure? CDC report 773.

20. costermonger

costermonger Occasional commenter

Everything you mention comes from the right wing individualists that have decided to pretend schools are businesses, and that they want as much public money as they can steal.

monicabilongame likes this.