1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is America not locking down?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moscowbore, Jul 13, 2020.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

This is food for thought regarding the science:

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

What I said is correct

Immunity wears off after three months.

You seem to wish the world is different to how it is.

I go by the precautionary principle. If this is what the best evidence is showing, then we should act as if it is correct. You wish to not act and hope it is incorrect.

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Kandahar likes this.
  4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Kandahar and Doitforfree like this.
  5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Did your use of the vague term 'wears off' mean that it has completely gone or it has diminished? I took you to mean the former. If I was incorrect then I apologise.

Rather then wishing that the world were not as it is, I wish that people wouldn't jump on a bandwagon and defend it to the hilt whether or not the evidence supports it. The world is complicated. There isn't always a clear right and wrong, but some people can't bear to think that this isn't the case. Believing that something is definitely right isn't the same as it actually being right.

ajrowing likes this.
  6. Scintillant

What is the bandwagon? The statements on immunity wearing off are from the largest study yet conducted and are made by leading experts in the field.

No, of course, but we should listen to the best evidence and act accordingly

I don't "believe". I listen to what experts are saying and to what the scientific consensus is.

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I think it is. You believe the experts of your choice or a consensus. Since you are not party to their research nor can you reproduce it, , it is belief despite not using the word.

Kandahar likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I can't read what you have said here, beyond that the response of my friends was "polarised" and where do they live?- no it wasn't "polarised", it was the same, they both reacted to the "information" from you that they are eligable for testing with anger, distress and cynasism. They just expressed it differently, thats all. They cannot get tested unless they have a few spare thousands, which they don't. They can't get tested. no one they know can get tested, many many people are slightly or severely ill, and cannot get tested. That is the situation. They live on the West coast, in an area which has had no covid fatalities at all, becasue dying people are shipped over the border to die in a different area, frequently without identity documents, leading to total chaos when families want to identify bodies or reclaim ashes.

I had an American mother, I have spent much of my early adult life on the west coast. I have many friends and relatives there, they are all telling me the same thing. The situation on the ground is nothing like the situation as presented in the media or on the internet.

10. Scintillant

I look at the consensus. Published research is peer reviewed and then replicated by others and theories are built upon. Anything that is incorrect is usually rooted out pretty quickly.

The other option is not using such an approach. It's success rate in comparison is appalling.

There is a consensus on Coronavirus, on climate change, on evolution, on many things. It may be adjusted in minor ways but very, very seldom it is proven to be "wrong".

11. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Ofsted is your friend.

12. Scintillant

Your bad experiences with Ofsted have no bearing on the science of coronaviruses.

13. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I thankfully avoided them.
    You claim to dislike the Ofsted, and yet seem quite prepared to embrace their doctrines when applied to science. I fought against consensus all my life: it is lazy, potentially dangerous, and leads to that 'rooting out' of those who don't follow Groupthink.

You, on the other hand, seem content with herd mentality - the very thing that has all but destroyed state education.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Over 67000 cases in the US yesterday - a new record.

15. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

You almost sound pleased.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It was 20000 before Trump started putting pressure on states to re-open.

No I'm not pleased - I have friends in various places in California and Philadelphia - they are well and truly fed up with this situation.

Kandahar likes this.
  17. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Well aren't we all? It is high time to just say to hell with it and get the world rolling again. We can't hide away indefinitely - and at the same time allow governments to force through ever more punitive / controls upon us.

artboyusa likes this.
  18. Scintillant

Lol, no.

And is usually correct.

19. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Data-driven schools based on:
    Educators (not teachers)
    Heavy SMT (with middle managers)
    Learning walks
    lesson observations
    book scrutinies
    performance management (PRP)
    Capability

...these all form the groupthink that glue schools together today, and have done so for nearly 20 years. Is this correct?

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not everywhere - no school I've worked in has felt that oppressive.

All the above things are not bad things in themselves - SMT need to know what's going on.