1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is America not locking down?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moscowbore, Jul 13, 2020.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Well, you must refrain then.

Kandahar likes this.
  2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It may or may not, the problem will be worse for those with 'low or no' immunity. You cannot avoid a virus even if you stay indoors forever or wear a space suit. Sooner or later it will make contact with you.
    Lets hope people start to realize that.

Kandahar and agathamorse like this.
  3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Its got a huge services, IT and finance sector as well as quite a large manufacturing base. Agriculture doesnt actually contribute a large percentage of its GDP.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The USA is heading for a 3 trillion dollar deficit. Yet some reckon President Trump has brought about an economic success story.

5. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Sorry, but it is not true.
    41,761,392 Americans have been tested. That's about 13% of the population. How did that many people get tested if it's so impossible to access? My sister is a nurse and she volunteered to help with the free testing in her state. She was kept busy.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/testing-in-us.html
    The Dept of Health and Human Services has a state by state list of where you can get tested here:
    https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/community-based-testing-sites/index.html#ma
    You might want to share it with your friends.
    Free testing, including drive thru, is offered by Wal Mart and national pharmacy chains like CVS and Walgreen's.
    https://corporate.walmart.com/covid19testing
    I searched the CVS site and they came up with 9 testing locations within 20 miles of my old address
    https://cvshealth.com/covid-19/testing-locations

6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

#37 and #47 were especially noxious.

Kandahar and lexus300 like this.
  7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Tell you about it ? I haven't been able to tell anyone on this forum a **** ing thing since 2016.
    I lived in CA for a few years back in the 80s. There was a lot I liked about it but some of the people were kind of strange and there seems to be even more of them lately.
    My nephew, aged 28, works for Facebook. Super smart. Lives in a beautiful top floor apartment overlooking Market Street in San Francisco. Earns an absolute ton of money for doing I'm not sure what. Looks like Orlando Bloom, but more handsome. If I sound jealous, I am (not really. He's a good kid and I'm happy for him. CA has a lot of wealth and a lot of talent but it has even more poor and more crazy. I worry that before long CA, and then the rest of the country, will look like this:
    [​IMG]

There are the people who live in Alphaville and those who don't - and who never will.

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No, it doesn't. Immunity wears off after 3 months.

9. Scintillant

But not delusional and frighteningly ill-informed.

Some are just off the scale of conspiracy nonsense

10. Scintillant

No, it won't. Lots of places have shown that to be incorrect.

Yes.

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Really?

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Proof required.

13. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

There is no "getting CV19 over and done with" any more than chicken pox is over and done with, or mumps, or measles, or glandular fever, or flu, or any other communicable disease. Basic biology, such diseases circuate indefinately unless the population is permenantly isolated in groups of less than 100 000

14. Corvuscorax

I have passed on your "information" to my friends.

One laughed, the other cried.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

So, why bother for CV19?

16. Corvuscorax

Another form of lie peddled widely in USA, that I have been told about by health care workers. Keeping your town/area/county clean sheet by sending dying patients over the border to die in the area next door, then claiming your area has had no fatalities. There is a lot of this going on, which further warps the statistiics and makes it even harder to know what is going on in the states.

Hence the stories of family members being unable to locate and identify the bodies of their loved ones

monicabilongame likes this.
  17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Steady, Corvus. There's a little bit of political bias to the moderation here. Be careful who you disagree with.

18. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

There are people who live in ridiculously expensive homes in Docklands whose view across the river are the blocks of council flats in Bermondsey. Those who live in the Bermondsey flats have a much nicer view across the river for a tiny fraction of the cost those in Docklands have to cough up. They will never live in Docklands. It's a funny old world, ain't it?

monicabilongame likes this.
  19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

There are fewer and fewer social housing riverside estates. When the estates or industrial units are redeveloped for something brighter, smarter and taller, local tenants are moved elsewhere.

20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Antibodies start to dwindle after three months. Other forms of immunity may still be active. It is far too early to be certain about almost anything to do with Covid-19. You seem very unhappy with uncertainty and want everything to be either right or wrong. The world is much more nuanced and complex than that.