1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is America not locking down?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moscowbore, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

We have well run, free recycling services. Our waterways are clean. Things might be different in London under Mayor Khan...who aspires to the ways and means of Democrats...homelessness, etc

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Not so.
    A big majority of them are already highly critical of the way he has handled the Covid pandemic.

3. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

He might well be a dreadful person, but he's got the country's economy back on track.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

America is not locking down because it wants to save its economy and preserve as many jobs for US workers that it can. They have decided not to commit economic suicide instead they are going back to work so that the people can get their lives back on track with as little government interference in their lives as possible. I wish them well.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Established commenter

Ah: got you, Kandahar,
    No he hasn't.
    Don't bother, life is too short.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

When Trump was running for President, he was a successful (well, loaded) businessman and TV personality. He hadn't had the opportunity to demonstrate his utter unfitness for office. However ghastly Clinton is (and she came over very self-satisfied, complacent and unsympathetic in her election apoearances, I thought), she'd give him more of a run for his money this time round.

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Anyway, in answer to the original question, Trump is fighting locking down and mask wearing in order to appease the brainless, baying, illiterate-placard brandishing, gun-toting, entitled rabble who think they're defending liberty by resisting something a bit inconvenient, and whom he hopes will vote for him.
    Responsible leadership.

8. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

It absolutly is true. I was facetiming friends in USA yesterday, who have no hope in helll's chance of being tested. Even to ask for a test costs hundreds in medical bills while you are assessed to see if you qualify for a test, and you could then be turned down anyway.

One of them is ill, and most of her office are ill, but none of them can afford to be tested, and most can't afford to take time off.

The husband isn't ill, but is clearly likely to also be infected, living in a one bed flat with an ill person, and children and parents ( who do child care) likely to be infected too,- one of the parents also coughing with a high tempt, also no chance of getting a test.

Tests are out of reach for many normal americans, so the real number of infected or dead is likely to be far far higher than official figures.

agathamorse and monicabilongame like this.
  9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

The one thing all current residents of USA that I am in touch with agree on, is no one actually has the faintest idea what the real numbers are, and never will

10. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

The hospitals are full in Florida and Texas. There are no beds left. Those who need ventilation will die.
    Many more will die at home never having seen a hospital. Inevitably, covid19 will find its way into one of those blocks of flats populated by pensioners in Florida and there will be a huge death toll.

But they will be going back to work. Yay!

Spoofer4114 and monicabilongame like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

America is slowly starting to shut down again.

12. LiamD

LiamD Occasional commenter

Libertarian dogma Vs Covid-19? Wonder what the outcome of that will be?

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

As a competition that is nonsense.
    The problem as I see CV19 is that of the state using it to impose far reaching and IMO long lasting draconian control of the population. Had governments been as controlling regarding who they let in and out and what they let in and out via the globalist agenda and world trade we might have escaped the worst of CV19. Instead they allowed totally unrestricted travel and thus allowed the virus into the UK., so, they sort the problem out by imprisoning the population.

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I think that is the American way. Have you thought that they might be getting CV19 over and done with rather than allowing an extended/indefinite reign of government restrictions?

Jonntyboy likes this.
  15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Could also be responsive leadership. Just because large parts of the US do not take the knee to CV19 does not make them "brainless, baying, illiterate-placard brandishing, gun-toting, entitled rabble", your words however make you sound like an anti American, Marxist agitator.

Jonntyboy and agathamorse like this.
  16. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Probably a good idea: freedom of movement is fine, but freedom to remain or to settle without much restriction is probably no longer a good thing, certainly over the past couple of decades as the world's population has expanded and travel has become easier and far too cheap.

As the the rest, sorry, I should have written "insolvent", not bankrupt. I don't think a state can be bankrupt in the USA. But its liabilities exceed its assets. Due largely, as far as I can judge, to silly, woke, politically-correct democratic party policies.

Not sure about how it generates so much wealth, though. Not thought about that. Oranges and wine? If it's true - and I don't wish to doubt your word, but would like some evidence - then it makes its insolvency even less defensible.

Maybe @artboyusa can tell us more about it?

lexus300 likes this.
  17. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I think that this will be the case throughout the world, in time.

agathamorse and lexus300 like this.
  18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I read somewhere once that they have somewhere called silicon valley that apparently doesn't grow oranges or grapes. Not sure what it does that would generate any wealth though.

burajda and agathamorse like this.
  19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Some of these comments are better suited to Infowars, rather than an adult forum for reasonably intelligent people.

Spoofer4114, LiamD and ukpaul like this.
  20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

How will that work when immunity doesn't last?

Let's hope no-one tells them.

LiamD likes this.