1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why is America not locking down?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moscowbore, Jul 13, 2020.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53382540

Record numbers of infections on a daily basis, hospitals full. New York shut down with fewer infections. trumpy is insisting that schools re-open and Disneyland in Florida has re-opened when the number of infections is the highest the world has seen.

The governor of Florida will not even make the wearing of masks mandatory. He has shut down bars.

The current low death rate could simply be a lag in the reporting https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/why-covid-death-rate-down/613945/

Can someone explain to me why there is not a major lockdown to at least slow down the infection rate?

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It might be better to ask that question on a Florida forum. Few people here live in the US.

lexus300 likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You don't really have to ask that question do you ?.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

5. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

America is a mess - not so great with that man at the helm....

MissGeorgi likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's no way out at present - very sad.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

If as many suspect, the CV19 will return, then perhaps they have become fatalistic about the whole thing? I do not know the answer to your question and I strongly suspect no one ever will.

8. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Lead commenter

Because most American politicians are corrupt. They work in the best interest of their donors not the American people. Big business needs it's workers. The American people are being thrown to the wolves. I wonder how much longer they will tolerate this?

JL48 likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Until November 3rd

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Leave out the word 'American' and I would agree with you.
    Tell me one that does not, over here.
    I think you misunderstand the people of the USA, they (the majority) want and need to work, they have a very good standard of living when working. Their welfare system is not universal and varies from state to state. We should also note that each state is at least similar in size to an average EU country.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

It’s got large numbers of idiot ‘libertarians’ who want the ‘freedom’ to infect each other. Similar to the idiot libertarians in our government. It’s the most dangerous ideology since Stalinism to take hold and it looks like it may end up killing more than he did,

13. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Their welfare systems don't just vary, but are universally poor. Healthcare is insane. Being out of work in the USA is very different from being out of work in a western European country. Many people do two or three jobs just to make ends meet. Lots of people can't afford basic healthcare. Not having a job is terrifying. You can have your water cut off or be evicted and there is no state help

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One of the many reasons I've never really wanted to live permanently in America.

Last time I was there I was just staggered at the number of homeless and mentally ill people there are living on the streets in the major cities in California.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Which is why they must work.

claret09 and agathamorse like this.
  16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Do you have some supporting information on this?

artboyusa likes this.
  17. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I think that you need to be mentally ill to want to go to live in California, and that if you aren't you probably will be shortly after you get there.
    It's financially and morally bankrupt and has been run by corrupt, incompetent democratic party politicians for years. In fact, the state it's in is probably one of the best arguments for supporting Trump that exists. Pyongyang might be safer - and is probably much cleaner.

As to not locking down, it seems possible now that lockdowns will over time damage more people. So maybe just social distancing is a sensible middle way to follow... but we won't know for ages.

18. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Are we doing so much better? And at least they have shut bars.What what I hear, some American districts are challenging the idea that schools should open to all pupils FT in September (you can google Texas Education Union). What are we doing? Even the DM was carrying headlines about a second spike in winter, when apparently temperatures will suit the virus-yet we're all supposedly supporting schools being open FT for all?

agathamorse likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The performance of The UK and the USA as regards coronavirus response has been shocking.

There's a good reason for that.

JL48 and Laphroig like this.
  20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Dedication?

or just stupidity and incompetence?

[​IMG]