1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why in India are there so many hideous crimes against women?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, May 6, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

India police arrest main suspect after teen raped and burned alive
    BBC.co.uk, 6th May 2018.

I assume that raping and incinerating a woman was not the first sign that these perpetrators were uncontrollable moronic sadists. Did they get to this point because their "village elders" slapped their wrist each time they did something wrong, as they did after the woman's rape? Is cousin marriage the answer? Is this why these monsters are so mentally deficient, and why they were allowed by their neighbourhood to reach this nadir of behaviour unchecked? Is it some kind of stupid caste thing?

I am not attacking people of Indian nationality or heritage when I say that, undeniably, some cultures are better than others.

slingshotsally likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Not sure, I saw on tv the other day they thought it was a stupid religious persecution thing.

Either way I agree it's despicable!

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

What a dreadful report. What a dreadful stain on the nation of India. I have known and worked with many fine young Indian men, but I have also found a number with a very arrogant misogynistic nature that seemed to stem from a spoilt upbringing of the males in the family. There has to be a reason for such behaviour but I'm not in a position to see what it is.

I followed up some of the references in the report referenced in the OP and the only word I can think to say once again is how dreadful it all is. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-43782471

Back in 2013 stronger anti-rape laws were encated, but clearly there is still a long way to go. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-21950197

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

[​IMG]

needabreak likes this.
  5. needabreak

As I understand it the value of women there could be affected from birth as they can be a financial burden in terms of dowry payments (even though now illegal I've read it still goes on) its pretty much all downhill from there.

That said I need to catch up on The Woman in White... it wasn't so long ago here women were their husbands chattels.

Even now we see that our laws on inheritance favour married couples so single women cannot benefit from a higher tax free estate passing to her children, a throwback to times when an unmarried woman was not as valued as a married one perhaps? I know men can be single parents too and may also be affected, but in my experience and observations the woman more often than not is the single primary carer... something for our Government or future one to consider perhaps.

emerald52 and slingshotsally like this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think it is culture.
    Culture is why we have peace walls in Northern Ireland.
    Culture is why it was fine to shoot Protestants 'by mistake' or slit the throats of Roman Catholics.
    Culture is why young women are happy going out to chase celebrity and indulge in multiple couplings for the evening and the young men feel that no said when knickers are off means nothing.
    Culture is why someone can be kicked to death for 'giving a funny look'.
    Culture allows victims to be stigmatised and rendered worthless so that their loss is of no consequence.

bevdex, blueskydreaming and sbkrobson like this.
  7. needabreak

The attitudes behaviour and characteristics of a group of people? No surely that is simply a description of the shenanigans not permission to act with impunity.

8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What is a young woman saying to a young man when she removes her underwear for him?

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Maybe?

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think being able to carry out some acts with impunity is implicit in cultures. Maybe in all cultures. I think most cultures give an implicit message that those who are not us are less than we are. That opens the door.
    Individuals might stand against such attitudes but they do so as individuals.

sbkrobson likes this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm speculating, musing, making conjectures, wondering and running things up the flag pole. I am not in any way hypothesizing or theorizing.

12. needabreak

Assuming that as it appears you are suggesting rape culture in India is acceptable I would ask can culture change since it appears not to be acceptable now Indian women are forming pressure groups against the atrocity.

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Germany was seen as a cultured nation prior to the Nazis.

People are strange and people are complicated.

racroesus and thatmaninthehat like this.
  14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sick.
    And pure evil.
    Testosterone has a lot to answer for.........

Laphroig likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Small groups up in arms while the vast majority stick to the old ways unless they are individually affected. Eventually such groups can bring change and that might happen over here if Westminster doesn't get impatient.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I don't think I am going this far. I think that circumstance can be important and that shoulders may be shrugged and excuses made for the perpetrators.

17. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Similar to the paedophila we have here. I sometimes wonder is it something caused by testosterone that some men can't seem to control? Is there something 'medical' which is playing a part? There appears to be so many paedophiles that something must cause it not just evilness.

Pageant likes this.
  18. needabreak

I think you are right and clearly shoulders have been shrugged for some time. I wonder the extent to which the pressure group can reach others internationally will have an impact... it took years without the tech available these days in SA didn't it.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  19. needabreak

Sounds familiar... a familiar start in some cases.

racroesus likes this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Has SA been particularly successful in reducing sexual crimes or even rape alone?