1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why I Quit

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by pleathers01, Sep 17, 2018.

?

Do you want to quit?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. pleathers01

pleathers01 New commenter

1. I lost my own passion for my subject due to strict teaching regimes

2. I never had time to take care of myself because I was too busy worrying about school

3. The pressure piled on you is unrealistic

4. You can’t enjoy the holidays when your worried about going back the whole time

5. The mixture of languages in my classes with no SEN support is disgusting

6. The economy is at breaking point within the public sector and we do not have funds to employ decent staff

7. The system is archaic and needs to move with the times

8. There is no enough attention to mental health, getting a job, coping with money and basic life skills...

9. I never had time to have a proper lunch break and my weekends would be spent working

10. The people at the top are all guarding their salary and letting the younger teachers bare the brunt of the workload

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You need to change schools!

3. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

How long have you been teaching? Did you leave your post already or will you be leaving in the summer or at Christmas or another point in the year? I agree with a lot of your points here.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I don't want to quit. I'm being forced to due to WRS.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Bedlam, I'm sorry this situation is rumbling on its unpleasant way still.
    Rest assured that for many people, quitting is a positive move, which can give you your life back and offer a whole different way forward. It did for me, after several years of a bullying SLT and a toxic school which led to WRS.
    There is a world elsewhere!

6. teachers-pet

teachers-pet New commenter

I quit in July after ten years.

Best move ever. I seriously don’t know how I coped disregarding my life, my self and my family for absolutely no respect in return.

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Soon there will be no one left to teach and it may well come sooner than people think.

I agree with CTB that the OP could change schools, but where I live out of all the available schools there are only two or three not in RI status and not everyone can get jobs at the best schools.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. drvs

drvs Star commenter

9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

How brave of him to speak out instead of taking the money to go.