1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why have so many British have gone abroad THIS year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_Ed, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

I just don't get it. We are in the middle of a global pandemic. If you have gone abroad for a Holiday during the last month, can you say why?

I think it is bonkers - we have amazing places to visit in the UK and with global warming the weather is good too!

I think people who have gone on a foreign holiday in 2020 should be fined.

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Idiots them all. Including cabinet ministers.

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

We have certainly had some stretches of pleasant weather, and a staycation combined with a crystal ball would indeed have been a nice idea. But here in Yorkshire we have also had lengthy periods of thick grey motionless cloud and slashing rain. Sunshine and warmth are central to my idea of a good holiday and I don't think I'm alone in that. Hence abroad.

This year, you'd have had to have made the decision early to get anything more glam than a caravan in this country's resorts.

I don't like "resorts" as such. The foreign places I visit are generally low key with empty beaches. Crammed like sardines on a British beach, surrounded by people who think rules are for idiots, is not an experience I'd pay for. Walking for more than 30 minutes is no longer an option so a hike through any moors or mountains not currently within a lockdown area is out. Not that I'd fancy it anyway.

And finally, most Brits book their holidays early in the year. For a lot of people the cost is a substantial portion of their income. You can surely see why they'd prefer not to just waste it?

I've got a holiday booked for mid-September. It may or may not go ahead. The main thing that concerns me is the risk of infection from the flight. Once we're there, the country has a lower rate than the UK and the people are generally more respectful of restrictions. Drunkenness and nightclubs are way less of a problem than in the UK.

So fine me.

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I guess it does seem strange that people would want to go from one country where there is a pandemic but has medical facilities overseen by people who speak their language to another country which also has a pandemic but carries with it the additional challenges of not speaking the national language.
    Added to this there's also the chance for a right royal mix up of different strains of covid from all sorts of different nationalities when you all meet at the airport, hotel, nightclub or beach. What's not to like ?

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The people going abroad for the same reasons they do every year. The recent /current constraints at home make the desire for a change of scene even more desirable.
    Arbritary quarantine is a new deterrent that has to be factored into holiday plans.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The Cummings effect ("none of this applies to me, I'm special") or "I know my rights" (they have no clue about "rights") or any of the other attitudes you get from the kids you may have taught. They grow into adults, sadly.

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I am finding it quite hard to be sypathetic to people who have had to rush back or go into quarantine. Surely, you know the risks before you book, the quarantine can happen anywhere.
    But then I don't do heat, don't much like beaches so it's always a stay cation for me!
    Each to their own.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

No, that was responsible for yesterday's gale force winds. People going abroad for their holidays is due to them having booked a long time ago and not wanting to lose their money.

I doubt that many people had even heard of Covid-19 when they booked their holiday. We certainly hadn't when we booked last November.

9. LondonCanary

That only became apparent from the end of July.

10. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I guess the other question is " why have they bothered coming back?"

11. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Those whom I know who have gone abroad booked their holidays long before the pandemic became a thing. With the travel advice being yes its fine to go, they had the choice of going or losing their money. I feel sorry for them.

vannie, Jamvic, chelsea2 and 8 others like this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What an excellent post, which especially drew me in for your razor sharp skills in persuasion!
    Would you like a job in my teaching agency?

13. LondonCanary

What jobs are you looking to fill?

14. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Just risky all round. Risking catching it, spreading it, hindering their local economy’s revival, selfishness, stupidity setting a bad example to their kids. Flying with germs everywhere...Crazy.

15. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

They went as they are ignorant of what wonderful holiday destinations there are here. And I don’t just mean at the beaches as we have plenty of inland places to holiday.

if you look at where I live (seaside village, south west) you would think everyone had stayed in the UK!

mothorchid and red_observer like this.
  16. red_observer

Well said

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We had two long foreign road trips planned for this year, both now cancelled. However, we only usually book the ferries in advance and make it up as we go along, because we travel independently outside the main holiday season.

Even with that flexibility built in we wouldn't contemplate a trip across the Channel any time soon. Way too much uncertainty.

I suspect a lot of it may be a lemming-like rush to return to 'normal'. Similarly if people are locked into pre-booked trips they don't want to lose their money. Unless there's some urgent personal need to travel abroad I don't honestly have a lot of sympathy for those caught out by the daily changes to quarantine regulations.

18. red_observer

I know of people who have been to Spain, Portugal and France and I just can’t believe it...

19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Certainly if anybody is thinking about a trip to the capital right now I recommend it. I went in for the first time since lockdown and it really was the quietest I’ve ever known it to be. Very sad to walk past all the closed theatres, though. But if you want to eat out, you can take your pick. Covent Garden with just a trickle of visitors; loads of empty lunch tables. We had a timed slot at the Museum of London. Walked though an empty City to get there. Very little traffic on the roads.

20. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

And those who encouraged them? Such as ministers who opened and boasted about 'air bridges'?:D

And what about the many tens of thousands whose jobs in the travel and tourism sect (one of my children included)? Make their jobs illegal and they'll be demanding you (as a taxpayer) compensate them, and pay unemployment benefit.:mad:

And then, what exactly, is a holiday. Try and legally define one in a way that is legally watertight...Because if I want to go to Europe to see relatives and friends, I'll ('Cummings like') find ways to define them as anything rather than a holiday! ;)