1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why has most of vocational teaching gone part time?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by cillia, Nov 6, 2018.

1. cillia

cillia New commenter

Since i qualified some 10 years ago I have found FE posts are increasingly point 6 or point 4 or a percentage. Hours in terms of many courses have been cut and Colleges / Schools / Academies and 6th Forms are employing on an ad hoc basis to fit random contact hours. Such as .6 over 4 days : 2 hours Monday, so many on Tuesday full day Wednesday and half day Friday. sometimes requiring highly qualified, highly trained highly skilled and experienced teachers to contract for 5 hours a day one day a week. is this OK? I mean I'm guessing there are a lot of people looking to do part time work around families or returning to work. The viability though of teaching / lecturing in FE seems to be less and less feasible.

2. erica_c_hanson

erica_c_hanson New commenter

Hi depending on area or sector it seems to be the case .However I work in northeast and there seems to be a mix. Where I work most jobs are 1fte. 0.5 or 0.8. based on needs of curriculum area. However once in the college you are able to pick up additional work in other areas if you make college aware that you want more hours. Often cover or other part-time contracts.

It seems harder in other areas of the country when I look on job sites. Have you considered applying to mark exams or moderate a few people at work so this when they work part-time as it fits around family life.

deborah25 likes this.
  3. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

It has been going part-time and fractional for some time now, as it allows management "flexibility" in their planning. Eg, if you are a point 6 working four days and someone else is off, they will often "offer" (tell) you to cover the other point 4 of the week at hourly rates which is cheaper than a proper full rate. Before I escaped from FE I thought of going down from full time to point 7 or 8, but from other colleagues experiences I would have ended up full time again anyway doing that point 3 or 2 extra at a lower rate, saving the college money. One college SMT manager, admittedly a couple of years ago, but still in FE, would have been quite happy with all teaching staff on flexible part time hours which could be added to or reduced on almost an ad-hoc basis.