1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why has everyone started Christmas in November this year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlemissraw, Nov 28, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I didn't think it was any worse than in future years?
    I have to confess I did write my Christmas cards in September, but I'd already bought the cards in the Jan sale and wasn't bringing them to Aus with us to post them all back home... so been left with Mum to send [​IMG]
    Tend to put tree up first weekend in Dec otherwise its only just gone up before it comes down again. Don't have one this year though as all our decorations are in transit.
    Think the gift thing may be more down to spreading the cost..?
    When do you put your decs up mammal? x

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Do you have second sight?

3. I was thinking that!
    My decorations go up in a couple of week's time and I have to admit that they do include 'Christmas tat' which includes singing santa, snowman, reindeer etc. for the entertainment of my small grandchildren. I just think that December is long enough to give to Christmas.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

lol no just a mush head, thats what you get when you don't have a job! [​IMG] x

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My next-door-but-one neighbours have had their decs up for four days now. I know because they leave their curtains open and their large tree, complete with changing fairy lights, can be clearly seen when I take the dog on his last walk at night.
    Bizarre.

6. I think people just need a bit of relief from the continuing misery caused by cuts, recession and Tories. We ,like others on here , put our tree up on the first of December....but as it falls midweek we put ours up last weekend.
    Also rather than go into debt for six months after Christmas we have been squirreling stuff away all year and so most of the pressies have been bought and wrapped.

Merry Christmas to one and all....ho..ho..bleedin' ho. :¬))

7. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Don't worry dear Bauble, Georgie Porgie is revealing his masterplan later today which will bring financial security and prosperity to us all x

8. Oh goody...I'll give the cat another goldfish. :¬))

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Last Sunday was the first Sunday in Advent.( I think this is the earliest that Advent can come...Christmas Day is a Sunday this year) I started putting up my decorations then, and will finish in a couple of days time.
    I don't send many cards - just one or two...I think they're far too expensive and the postage is ridiculous! I have done a couple of cross-stitched cards for a few people. A few presents have been bought but I still have some to sort out.
    I also started my Advent readings on Sunday...not only 'Christian' books (including the Bible!) but also A Christmas Carol which always gets me in a festive mood, and which I read every year over Advent. ...and a 'new' book for me this year - How Far Is It To Bethlehem.
    And for me, Christmas is also a time to think of Easter....When I think about God giving His most precious gift to us at Christmas, it is only right and fitting that I also meditate for a while on the true meaning of His gift. For me, the crib and the cross are deeply connected.

10. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I have started present buying a bit early this year to spread the cost as money is a bit tight at the moment. I agree with Bauble, I think people are so tired of all the doom and gloom,starting Christmas early is an attempt to cheer themselves up. I certainly won't be putting the tree up for a good couple of weeks though!

11. It's not so much people trying to cheer themselves up, as the shops convincing us if we shop early we'll get all the best bargains. They trick us into believing we're getting such a good deal that we MUST buy our presents now! Once the presents have been bought, we might as well buy the wrapping paper, whilst we're at it why not the cards? Oh and there's always the novelty decorations in the card shops. So we make a start on that. which leads to a competiton with the house next door on who can hve the most outrageous light display. In a year that has seen massive electricity price hikes commerce has effectively tricked us into starting early and as such spending more. The shops that convinced us we had such bargains in October will soon be starting their "January sales". Everything starts earlier each year. Easter begins before Christmas these days, I shouldn't be surpised if we see Easter eggs out early-mid December (last year I saw Easter eggs on sale 3 days before Christmas!)

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas, but only when it begins in December - this year there is the exception that Advent has already begun, but let's not kid ourselves that this is the reason shops have successfully brought Christmas forward into August, October and November.

12. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I've started - written my cards, bought most of my presents, because I want to enjoy the week before CHristmas with my children rather than be panic buying and posting. I HATE the way I'm normally so disorganised, So I'm making a real effort for my sake!

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Me too - in another couple of weeks the stuff in the shops will be looking a bit knocked about. By then I'll be on to planning food. Decs won't go up for a while yet. Spacing it out helps me keep it under control - who wants to be in a flap half way through December. So glad I'm not in school for Xmas anymore - those bl..... concerts! I'll be singing in a very civilised Carol Concert and I might even volunteer a non religious reading, I had a lovely Wendy Cope poetry anthology for my birthday and there's a Xmas poem that would just fit.

14. I hate the Christmas shopping crowds and generally don't have a spare wodge of cash to drop on buying everything en-masse in December anyway. From an early age I always did my Xmas shopping in early November - I've got a run of family birthdays from mid-Nov to early-Dec so I've always had the habit of doing all the gift shopping prior to that and the only way I can remotely enjoy the festive season (NOT my fave time of the year) is by forward planning, knowing everything's bought and wrapped (I enjoy present wrapping) and hidden away now, leaving us to focus on getting the bits food and drink wise as the main things still to sort out going into December - but the clubcard vouchers have been stockpiled to cover the bulk of that as well.
    I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than brave a Saturday in a town centre in December.