1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why get personal in the other fora?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mathsteach2, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

This is my first visit to the Personal Forum, and I am doing it because it is personal!

Curlygirly decided to have a go at me in the Have Your Say forum. I responded, but there has been no further exchange.

What I would like is that the TES website operates in the way that the old TES printed version survived throughout my UK career (1966 to 1996). | took it every week, and felt that it was a weekly paper extolling the virtues (and the problems) of the teaching profession.

I am not suggesting that "letting off steam" should not occur, but personal attacks should only occur here in the Personal Forum, or perhaps in a Playground Forum, as I have so often suggested.

I think there are far too many posters here who are still in the advent days of this medium, thinking that they can say what they like, and behave as if they are having some sort of personal relationship with anonomous posters in cyber-space.

|p|>My suggestion is get real. If you want a personal relationship, go to the pub, or the sowing club, whatever, or, of course, express your personal views here in Personal! Not that I would pick them up, I rarely visit here. God bless.

2. Mathsteach2

This is my first visit to the Personal Forum, and I am doing it because it is personal!

Curlygirly decided to have a go at me in the Have Your Say forum. I responded, but there has been no further exchange.

What I would like is that the TES website operates in the way that the old TES printed version survived throughout my UK career (1966 to 1996). | took it every week, and felt that it was a weekly paper extolling the virtues (and the problems) of the teaching profession.

I am not suggesting that "letting off steam" should not occur, but personal attacks should only occur here in the Personal Forum, or perhaps in a Playground Forum, as I have so often suggested.

I think there are far too many posters here who are still in the advent days of this medium, thinking that they can say what they like, and behave as if they are having some sort of personal relationship with anonomous posters in cyber-space.

|p|>My suggestion is get real. If you want a personal relationship, go to the pub, or the sowing club, whatever, or, of course, express your personal views here in Personal! Not that I would pick them up, I rarely visit here. God bless.

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

You have that one backwards.
    This is the fluffiest forum.
    You are expected to voice an opposing opinion elsewhere.

4. You need to toughen up. Get used to being insulted, demeaned and demoralised, not to mention patronised and treated like something stuck to the bottom of someone's shoe. I recommend a few weeks on the Cover Supervisor forum.
    Love and Peace.

5. Very bad netiquette to come crying over to personal to try and b*tch about someone on another thread in another forum.
    Get over yourself.

6. Mathsteach often whinges about how awful Tes is and how horrible the posters are. It does make me wonder why he bothers to post.

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Oh dear, very bad netiquette indeed.
    I questioned your advice to someone who suggested they were suffering from stress to "have a stiff one" and "toughen up" as I thought it was at best unhelpful and at worst dangerous.

If you wanted to discuss it with me further I would suggest a PM might be more appropriate.
    I shall leave it at that, the thread is there for all to see, people can make up their own mind.
    I won't be commenting on this thread again, as it seems to be designed to deliberately bait me.

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Everybody gets personal, even though the individuals do not know each other, I keep reminding some of the vehement posters in their quite often vicious antipathy towards me. Water off a duck's back.

9. I've been told (off) by a very wise little bird (and I mean 'bird' character,,,,, not a female person necessarily) ....."attack the post and not the poster"

10. And I've taken that advice to heart....be nice! x

11. Hi
    Personal attacks in any of our forums are against our T&C and Code of conduct. We can't read every post so please report posts you are concerned about.
    Thanks.

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Bring back the Detention forum.

13. Oh pots kettles and black. Remind me, so I don't have to look, how many times has curlygirly done the same thing? Example, taking an argument from maths to opinion and back again. Always wrong when someone else does it seems.

14. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Saw this quote in a mag at the docs:
    “I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it.”

Originally by G.Bernard Shaw (according to Google) I thought, yes, I will bear that in mind the next time a pig (or a mob of them ) waddles it's/their towards me on a thread.....

..... although, I think that might be an insult to pigs who are renowned for being intelligent and friendly, (apart from when the odd stray farmer falls unconscious in their field and is eaten alive by said pig/s.)

15. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

oink

16. moonpenny

17. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

yeah, we know this but it still happens. And where do you draw the line? calling someone a "numpty" or "muppet"? Or doubting someone's legitimate parentage?
    Anyway some insults are hilarious, and can be enjoyed. The response of some posters to insults is also often hilarious when you can almost feel their indignation.

18. Mathsteach2

Many thanks to all who have bothered to post in this thread, including curlygirly and Bev. As someone has said, its all here in these public fora for anyone to read, and make up their own minds.

Me? Again as has been said, its all water off a duck's back. If it wasn't, I would do as Bev says, and simply report and leave it to the TES team. God bless.

19. moonpenny

You have a thick <strike>head </strike>skin though. [​IMG]

20. Would you all like to come and join the "KIss and Make Up' thread on personal.....? xx