1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why don't schools accept CVs?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anthonyjohn73, Feb 2, 2012.

1. I have been applying for a number of jobs lately. It is so frustrating that schools won't simply accept a straightfoward CV and yet each have a slightly different application form which requires exactly the SAME information.

Why won't schools accept CVs? What is the point of having a CV if schools won't take them? Why can't we simply produce a standard application form and send it online to schools when a vacancy arises with a specific supporting statement?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The point for schools is, it's much more difficult to compare CVs,as they can be as individual as the person.
    Hence the application form. Yes they may differ from authority to authority/school to school yet require the same information. So make a new document, in Word for example and then you can just copy and paste the information into the relevant place on any application form.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Couldn't agree more!
    Yep!
    Mind you, that is what the TES HireWire system is, in many respects.
    And there is a very good answer to why schools do not accept CVs. Or rather, to why they should not, as the odd loose-cannon does accept them.
    It is statutory guidance from the government that they should not accept CVs, but instead get candidates to fill in their information in a standard format on an application form.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. I was actually having this discussion with a friend the other day and we decided it would be far simpler if each school had the same application form (perhaps developed by the govt and then sent out around the country). Then we could just edit that accordingly (as in add in CPD courses or whatever) and just do a different letter, rather than having to faff about filling out YET ANOTHER application form which wants basically the same info as the last 5!

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

On the other hand, you could always apply for jobs in international schools, as many of them DO welcome CVs.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Spot on!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

7. When I become education minister, hey Theo?

(Only joking!)

8. I don't understand why CVs are so offensive! Yes, each one is individual but they basically carry the same information - no matter what the format.

Is it asking too much for well educated Heads to sift through them?

I'm sorry to bash on about it but I find it a massive waste of time simply cutting and pasting the same information again and again.

Come on people, let's get a standard application form together and use that instead!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It might be, if they have 200+ in all different formats. Much easier to look through 200+ application forms and compare those.
    But I agree that a standard form for every region would be an excellent idea.
    Best wishes

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As a head I've sometimes been sent CVs by staff applying for jobs, often despite the instruction 'please do not send a CV' on the letter with the information pack.
    As Theo indicates, these have varied massively from person to person. The best have limited themselves to no more than 2 sides, have given only the information I might have wanted and have been concerned with professional matters.
    The worst - where do I start? There was the one who was applying for a HOD post and sent me a 32 page CV, complete with a photo that didn't make me more inclined at all to invite him. The first page was tightly packed typescript and concerned entirely with personal information, 90-odd % of which I did not want or need. I didn't need, for example, to know he was married, for how long, what his wife's name was or what her age was. I didn't need to know the names, ages and genders of his three children. I didn't need to know he was a practising Anglican, nor that he was right-handed.
    You'll be wondering how he managed to fill 32 pages. All I can say is that someone who thinks the information given above is vital for the first page of his CV has no trouble whatsoever in coming up with mountains of detail - about every topic he studied on his first degree, for example; about what he taught on his teaching practice, with example after example - all written in full sentences - of lessons he taught. As he'd been teaching for eight years, there was reams of this stuff about his teaching experience.
    What really put the icing on the CV cake for me, however, was when he gave four pages of 'additional information' - and included the extremely pertiinent fact that he was a 'blood and sperm donor'.
    I haven't made any of this up. It's why I banned CVs years before 'Safer Recruitment' told me I should.

11. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

This has made my day! Truly excellent.
    BTW to the poster complaining how much effort it is for YOU to cut and paste your info from form to form - I hear ya, but imagine how annoying it must be for a head to have to read 200 CVs, looking for a particular detail (degree class, or age ranges taught for example), when on every CV it will be in a different place or perhaps not at all. Being able to look halfway down page 1 to check a certain detail is far easier for them.
    At the end of the day, you want the job, you've got to conform to what they want. When I was jobhunting I had a "LA 1", "LA2" and "LA3" form saved, with all the boring info (name, DOB, quals etc) saved, and for each one just changed the school name, and put in a new personal statement. Given that I'd have had to write a new PS/covering letter to go with a CV anyway, it really didn't take much longer.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Can't top the donor bit, Middlemarch, but I once had a CV that included photos of the applicant at every stage of his life!
    Well, no baby ones, but a photo in school uniform for his A-levels, a photo in mortar-board and gown for his degree results, etc.
    The final one was him kissing a young girl (his daughter I hope, not a pupil) at a school Valentine's dance.
    Best wishes

13. Personally, I think it's more professional to fill in an application form, cover letter etc specifically tailored for the job rather than sending a bog standard CV (if you're saying that you'd change the CV each time you apply for a particular job, that still involves cutting and pasting which is what you're complaining about)!
    As for cutting and pasting each time, I found that I got quicker at doing that with each application, anyway!

14. This is where Scotland does things so much better - at least in maintained schools - & we don't have "Academies", foundation schools, free schools and stuff like that, so all non-private-sector-schools are part of a common application platform (as are most LA jobs of any kind, and the emergency services).

I'd hate to encourage lots of you to compete with me for the permanent job I'm seeking, but let www.Myjobscotland.gov.uk be an inspiration: all your data is retained from one application to the next, (employment history, qualifications, CPD, GTCS number, address etc) but each job, school and local authority can have their own questions according to local policy: these are the 'supplementary information' questions, and there may be between one and five such questions (usually max 4000 characters)
    When we get independence, who wants to join us?

15. Utterly astounding!

I was taught from the start of my professional life to only ever do a <u>two page</u> CV (at the very most) with the only the basic information on it: employment history, education, referees, contact details.

It angers me that there are so many *** out there who can't understand exactly what a CV is. Hence this frustrating NO CV rule which most schools have now which penalises the rest of us.

However, I still think that there should be ONE standard application form for teaching jobs.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, but it is all too easy to fudge things on a CV, even when it is 2 pages and not 30. Hence the rule that everyone fills in a form, so that they are obliged to give the specific information.
    I agree 100%.
    Best wishes