1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why don't parents understand why we are striking?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Jonkers - my "you" was generic - I have often posted with you and I know how hard you work.
    Please don't take it personally.
    Eva - you can take my comments personally.

2. Right. Why do you think that is?
    Why do you think that is?
    OK, accepted. Eva, you need to remember that I will defend where I live and if you don't have valid arguments, I will eat you!
    I am perfectly happy to debate the issues with you, but I am not sure this thread is appropriate.
    Sorry if you found my response overboard, but I am sick and tired of the "anti" German element - which is very alive on TES.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Mr CG has done both and he finds the opposite. So much so that he intends to go back to the private sector. I have friends in both. My best mate and his wife both have fewer qualifications than me, both earn more than me, both have company cars and annual bonuses, both work shorter days than me, can holiday when they choose and take days off for important events (and have duvet days) when they choose, and have better pension arrangements than me. They both intend to retire at 45. They're horrified by the pressured situation we work in and the stuff we have to deal with. Many of my friends in the private sector are in very similar situations to my best friend and his wife, I imagine it depends om the type of job you do in the private sector. I suspect if you returned to teaching in the uk today you might reassess your view, maybe not.

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

My comment was actually pro-Modern Germany Celtic. So unclench.
    I was pointing out the fact that Germany, despite how poorly many view it due to its history, has managed to be just about the only European country NOT slowly collapsing under the weight of its own stupid economic decisions.
    I appreciate it was poorly expressed.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The private sector is indeed a vaste and varied landscape.

6. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

It's because many people in industry find it an absolute joke that teachers get the holidays, and relatively good salary that they do, and still complain ...
    Not saying for a minute that they're right of course, but many of the unsupportive parents will share this view.

7. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

[​IMG]Thanks CQ, I hoped that you weren't being personal!

8. It was.
    And you a blinking English teacher. But I owe you a pint and if you want to have one over Chrissie, let me know - I will be juuuuuuuuuust down the road at home ;o)

Curly - we are not going to get any further with the discussion. You cannot "measure" stress.
    I find the private sector much more stressful, but much more rewarding.
    Others will see it differently.
    I would never, ever, ever, go back to teaching full time. I found it boring.

9. Having done both - sorry, the holidays are not justified.
    And I am (as I was a teacher) as supportive as I can be - but I HATE reading on here that parents think of teachers as babysitters and what to do in the holidays.
    WHAT should we do in the holidays? I ONLY HAVE 6 WEEKS ANNUAL LEAVE.
    Would you like my son to spend his time on the corner of the street, or where should I send him?

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I think stress is measurable. I've known people stressed to the point of suicide, I'd say that's fairly measurable. If you found teaching boring then it clearly wasn't the job for you. In 17 years I've been bullied, harrased, abused, threatened, stressed, assaulted, stimulated, overjoyed, fulfilled, entertained, exhausted, and elated but never in those 17 years have I been bored, not once.

11. fantastischfish

I can see where you are coming from, but I wonder what these parents thought would happen when they decided to have children? It's not like the school holidays are a new phenomenon. Or were they just hoping things would changes in time for when their kids started school?
    And how many of them sighed with relief when they packed their children off to full time school and managed to regain some of their own life? They were glad of teacher then.
    Just saying.

(Devil's Advocate)

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I often wonder that too, it's not a surprise, the holidays have been that way for years. Just as I knew I'd have to pay more than a third of my wages in childcare costs (and when they were pre school
    more than half) . It's a choice you make when you have children.
    some of my friends in the private sector get free childcare too, others get it subsidised...

13. All that has happened to me in the private sector too. Why do you think the public sector is so much different?
    Teaching for me is not boring - I still teach. And with good feed back - I can teach.

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I never suggested for a moment it was any different. I didn't even imply it. I just said I'd experienced all those things but never boredom. So if teaching isn't boring, why were you bored?

15. Most of us plan around it as best can be.
    But when we hear teachers sighing and complaining, you surely must understand that we get annoyed?
    I cannot get rid of my annoying clients - you have your clients too.
    The difference is, if I do a **** job and the clients leave, I get sacked.

16. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Please tell us two things,
    What an earth is a duvet day? If it is what I think it is then no private employer would allow it.
    Please tell us what occupation your friends are in if they intend to retire at 45? Retirement at 45 would generally mean a pension pot sufficient to last until they are both in their 90's. Even wealthy self employed people I know are not confident enough to retire in their 40's however much money they earn. In fact people that successful generally don't retire as they enjoy their work too much, see Branson, Dyson and their ilk.

17. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You've never heard of duvet days? One of mates is allowed 5 a year. Very well known company - project management. And yes, they are a private employer and it's allowed - the policy is they'd rather people be upfront than "pull a sickie" ( something I've never done in my life as I know how much it would cost the school
    Budget.)
    Their pension plan is based on really good investments and believe me, they will be able to retire at 45.
    Mates wife took vr, got a lump sum big enough to make your eyes water (and buy two properties) took a month off and then walked into a better paid version of her old job with another private company.

18. fantastischfish

It's becoming far more that way in teaching too! We have to advertise our school to attract students because management are terrified of falling rolls and therefore falling budgets. We dress to impress on open evening and perform like monkeys to the organ grinder. This year, we had: the DT department holding cake baking sessions; the Science department exploding things; poetry games with prizes (did the school pay? Nope); the school orchestra playing in the hall; a strong quartet in the entrance hall; murder mystery games in the Drama department....the list goes on.
    And if a parent deem me to be not doing my job (despite having little idea what my job actually entails) what may they do? Up sticks and take their child to the other side of the fence where the grass is apparently greener. Because their child couldn't possibly ben underachieving because they are lazy or didn't meet deadlines. And if I genuinely do screw up, my 'client' absolutely can leave.

I wish to remain child-free, but suppose I had children of my own? What happens to them whilst I'm at work teaching other people's little cherubs? What about when I'm giving up my time after school to run catch-up classes for the darlings who couldn't be bothered to work hard enough on their coursework first time around? Or in the holidays when I give up two days to do revision classes for no extra pay?
    I know that I'm not covering all bases of the argument here, but I do think that some parents forget that teachers are parents too. And that many of us do go above and beyond the call of duty for THEIR child. I'm sure that the parents don't go to bed at night worrying about teachers' children and the coursework they haven't handed in, or how we're going to help little Jimmy understand Pythagoras tomorrow.

19. So what is a duvet day? Yes, I am allowed time off if my kids are sick - do you think I get half a year free?
    Private pensions no longer exist - they are worth nothing.
    Sorry, curly - you do not know how the private (i.e. majority) sector works or what problems we face - judging by your posts tonight.
    You have a hard catchment area, I know - but try to see beyond that.

20. You would still have more time free for your cherubs than I do for mine. I have done both. I have the comparison.
    And btw - extra pay in the private sector? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.