1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why does the grass always seem greener?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by notmeanymore, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Just that really.
    You've got something good going, then someone else comes along and it seems like it would be a really great option to throw away everything you've got (that deep down you know you love and don't want to ruin).
    I'm genuinely seeking thoughts here - am very confused!

2. Without more details it's very difficult to offer thoughts. If you've got a good deal now I'd say stick with it unless the new opportunity is too good to miss.
    Personal or professional?

3. Ah, I'm the total opposite- prefer the devil I know!

I suppose both come down to not knowing and wanting control.

4. Personal.
    Am very happy in my relationship, but an ex has come back on the scene and cast doubt on everything.

5. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Sometimes we all need a reminder to count our blessings. Why is s/he an ex? (If you tell us, it might help you realise what you're NOT missing!)

6. He is an ex for a reason. Remember what that reason was.

7. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

WHY do they do that??!!! Tell him/her to beggar off! :)

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Then you have to remind yourself why this person is an ex.
    And remind yourself that you are happy now.

9. Victoria Plum

Ooh! Was just going to add that as well - beat me to it roseangel! (Although I'm not one to talk - one of my exes has TWICE thrown other relationships into turmoil...!!)

10. She is an ex becuase when we were together things were going well and then she totally freaked out at the thought of commitment (we were talking about moving in together). It was difficult as my family didn't know I was gay at that point. And she upped and left without telling me and that was it. That was the second time - 7 years after she did the same thing to me the first time we were together.

11. She's done it twice, don't let her do it a third time.

12. So no reason to think she won't do the same thing again?

13. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

To be dumped like this twice is misfortunate; giving her the chance to do it a third time would be absolute craziness.
    She sounds as if she thrives on drama and is probably a bit of a dog in the manger- you're more attractive when she can't have you.
    Stay well clear and look again at your happy relationship- tell yourself why it's so happy and enjoy it.

14. Do you have to cross paths with her? Even if you weren't in another relationship getting back together with her would probably be a very bad idea

15. Victoria Plum

It's very hard I know but I think you need to be strong and not let her do this to you. You obviously have a good thing going with your current relationship - don't jeopardise (how on EARTH do I spell that???) it for someone so unreliable. xxx

16. Thanks - this is what I needed to hear.
    My partner now is wonderful - and I genuinely am in love with her - I can't imagine my life without her!
    A dose of reality from you all was all that was needed.
    Thanks again.