1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why does my Victoria Sponge not rise??

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Hellvixen, Aug 7, 2008.

1. I can make little cakes no problem.

Whenever I try to make a big cake, they come out like frisbees. I don't have small tins, I use normal big tins like ones that you make fruit cakes in, is that the reason???

2. I can make little cakes no problem.

Whenever I try to make a big cake, they come out like frisbees. I don't have small tins, I use normal big tins like ones that you make fruit cakes in, is that the reason???

3. You need to make sure that you have the right sized tin for your recipe. If it says use a 7in tin, you need to stick to it (the recipe, not the tin).

You also need to make sure that you are using the correct flour. I know it sounds silly, but a friend of mine couldn't understand why her cakes didn't rise until I pointed out that she swapped the self-raising flour of the recipe for plain flour, but then not added any raising agent.

I am just getting started on baking. I love cooking and I found baking bread crazily easy, but cakes sometimes have me a bit flummoxed and these are tips I've found useful!

4. Make sure you are following a whole cake recipe, not a fairy cake recipe (I know it sounds stupid, but they are different!)

5. It could be a number of reasons Hell. Take it you are not using standard 8" cake tins but larger ones? If I have to use a large tin, I cook all the mixture in the one tin and then slice after. Might be worth investing a couple of quid in standard tins.

6. Thanks Irie.

Does it not matter that the tins are the deep variety rather than the not so deep???

Hmm....I always think I've not made enough mixture....could be that! My tins are the usual circle ones....don't know the sizes though and haven't a ruler!

7. Oooooo lots of replies, thank you!

I wonder if I'm following the right recipes then?? Hmmm anyone care to share their best one for me to bake now??

8. Do you have the Bero book? Chocolate cake in there is gorgeous.

9. No...I posess 2 cook books. Jamie Oliver 'Home' and 'Scottish traditional recipes' LOL!

10. This isn't meant to be rude at all (daughter lives in Fife with Scottish boyfriend) but does Scotland really have enough regional recipes to fill a whole book?

11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Tell us the recipe you use... there may be something with it we can tell you about!

12. well, I've just done 8oz SR flour, butter and caster sugar and 4 eggs in a bowl. Whizzed it up, split into cake tins. In the oven at 180C. they look pretty good. i don't think i was using enough ingredients before.

13. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

oven isnt hot enought when they go in?

14. lilachardy

Do you cream the fat and flour first?

15. lilachardy

*fat and sugar

16. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Are you mixing using the all-in-one method? ie everything in a bowl and whizz together? If so add a heaped teasp of baking powder, makes up for not adding air when creaming. I know you use SR flour but the extra baking powder is needed.

17. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I was told to weigh the two eggs first, then use that weight for the butter, flour and sugar?

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Eggs usually weigh around 50g or 2oz each. Method is either creaming method or all-in-one, if the latter a teaspoon of baking powder is needed to compensate for the lack of creaming,

19. I always use 6 6 6 & 3
    SR flour marg & sugar + 3 eggs.
    2 sandwich tins. Cream marg & sugar first. Beat in eggs & use METAL spoon to fold flour in gently.

20. Beat the eggs up like mad in a separate bowl till they're bubbly before adding them to get tons of air into them - then mix them in gently so as not to lose the air.

And don't use the all in one method.

And don't use a food mixer.