1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

why does my HOD do this?!?!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by alexireland, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ok, first of all, please do not reply with 'so what, you should be doing this already', etc

i can understand work samples being done for dept review etc, we had one done by hod in october, then ofsted early nov

now hod wants to do another one next week, why?!! NO other sept has this imposed on them and i am sick of it!!

2. ok, first of all, please do not reply with 'so what, you should be doing this already', etc

i can understand work samples being done for dept review etc, we had one done by hod in october, then ofsted early nov

now hod wants to do another one next week, why?!! NO other sept has this imposed on them and i am sick of it!!

3. Standards, monitoring, fairness, ..... it is a part of being a good HOD...

Not sure what the reasons are for your reluctance if you are doing all you should - surely it's a matter of a case of handing it over....

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not sure what response you would like...

Work sampling in Oct, Nov and Jan doesn't sound excessive. Once per half term is about right.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

The OP was moaning about this back in November. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me: I was doing this when I was a HOD. I also wonder what s/he thinks happens in other jobs. In my current post (Home Office/Criminal Justice) our paperwork is monitored monthly as well as subject to random checking. Any shortfall puts us on automatic capability and more intensive performance monitoring. If s/he's doing the job properly I don't see what the fuss is about.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Sorry OP - This is good practice on the part of your HOD>

7. erp77

erp77 New commenter

And just because it's not happening in other dept doesn't mean it shouldn't be happening.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Asking for samples of work done by pupils you teach isn't exactly onerous, is it? All you have to do is hand them over.

9. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I thought this forum was for dilemmas but I can't see a dilemma here. HOD asked for the work so hand the work over.
    Unless we are all missing something.

10. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Because that is the job of the HoD. Perhaps you should be grateful that it's the HoD, who at least has some understanding of the issues of your subject, and not Uncle Tom Cobbley who teaches 8 periods a week to no more than 12 students at a time and has not a clue what should be in your books.
    How can you be sure? Just because OfSTED have been and gone doesn't mean that monitoring stops. In fact, in my experience, that's the very worst thing that can happen.
    Ask them why, then. Suggest a better way of monitoring standards if you can think of one. And then give the books in as you have been asked.

11. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I agree, we have had this happen , not by HOD but by SMT and it is a pain.