1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why does coffee not taste as good as its aroma?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, May 30, 2020.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This is bugging me now.

Whenever I am preparing coffee I feel good, calm and at peace with the world over the expected taste, not least as the aroma of coffee beans is just so enticing.

Alas, another cup I have made will be thrown mostly away. Tastes awful.

There has to be a formula here? What am I doing wrong or do I need a new nose?

Marshall and alex_teccy like this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Is it because you are using the wrong coffee? No end of varieties and strengths to choose from.

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

How are you making the coffee? I have a filter machine, and a cafetiere. The same coffee tastes different in each, and if I use the same grounds in the espresso machine, it's different again.
    The filter machine is best for breakfast, the espresso machine after lunch and the cafetiere not very often, because I don't think it tastes as nice.

Marshall, agathamorse and dumpty like this.
  4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Possibly now but I have never matched the smell to the taste - even the budget beans I have now smell great but the taste.....:eek:

agathamorse likes this.
  5. WB

WB Lead commenter

My wife loves the smell of coffee but hates coffee.

I've never had a bad coffee in Spain, France, Italy or... basically coffee is always good in Europe. Here in the UK not so good.

My Nespresso pod machine is pretty good though.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How about pour it up your nose.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I had a cup of coffee in Greece that wouldn't even come out of the cup when I turned the cup upside down.

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I got some Starbucks coffee beans in our cheap shop recently. Needs must. They made, I am sad to say, absolutely delicious coffee. I expect I make it as lot stronger than they do.

Grind your own beans. You'll get a much fresher flavour. And I agree, the type of coffee maker makes s difference. I find cafitiere coffee tastes a bit rough compared to filter or the espresso machine.

9. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Smells foul.
    Tastes foul.

smoothnewt, butties and dumpty like this.
  10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Thanks all....back to the drawing board for me, methinks.

11. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Didn't some grocers in the past come up with the ruse of placing a coffee bean over a lighted candle to fill their shops with the aroma of coffee in order to entice in more customers? The taste of the coffee never quite lived up to the expectations, however. There's probably a reason why the saying goes "Wake up and smell the coffee" and not "Wake up and taste the coffee."

agathamorse, dumpty and minnie me like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I can remember the worst cup of coffee I ever had (and it wasn't the one in Greece).

It was from KFC at a motorway service station.

Indescribably horrible.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  13. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The worst one I every had was from the Costa at Tamworth services. When my son was in Bristol it was often the only place to stop for a break coming back on a Sunday night. The milk was burnt and the coffee was weak. They didn't even apologise.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What are you doing to the coffee? Are you putting sugar and milk in? To what degree?

15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Tried it all - with milk, without, powdered milk, sugar, fake sugar the whole caboodle. Still tastes awful.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Coffee tastes best when suffering from a serious hangover.

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've always thought this about coffee that it's a pity the taste doesn't live up to the smell.

I never understand why people get so excited about the stuff either, it's ok, I drink it most days but only instant. The other stuff from beans or pods isn't worth the faff and it's lukewarm and generally unsatisfying.

Now tea on the other hand...

dumpty and gainly like this.
  18. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

Different tastes are detected my five different taste receptors on the tongue; bitter, salt, sweet, sour and a newer one cider :D, only joking is called Umami which is sort of Savory. There might even be a sixth for fat.

As far am I am aware there isn't the same categories of olfactory receptors for smell which could explain why something tastes different to its smell, Stilton cheese being another example.

agathamorse and dumpty like this.
  19. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Not from Wisbech?

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So I have it black from a cafetiere, two scoops... I go for a stronger roast... usually 4/5 though last week I bought a Java in M&S that was a 6 and WOW... that was strong.

I mean, maybe you don't like coffee?

agathamorse and dumpty like this.