1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do you want to work here?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by captain_picard, Jan 26, 2016.

1. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

Hi,

I have an interview on Thursday. I'm looking for a more established school, without high staff turnover and poor behaviour. If they ask why I want to leave my current post after only a couple of years, what could I say? It's not for a promotion, the school is further to travel, and of course I don't want to say anything negative about my current school. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have you read the interview advice articles? Use something that reflects your USPS . . . the article on Dream question explains this towards the end.

Interviews advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? *** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On here we have a very nice tradition that when you actually get a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

Make sure you congratulate someone when you see a thread like that!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes

3. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Without saying 'new challenges', could you say that having served x amount of time in your current school, you're looking to add breadth to your CV or identify a particular area that the school is looking to improve and say you feel you can offer your skills in that area, or if the school has a particular strength say that you feel that the school offers areas of staff development that interest you.
    I made a sideways move and just said 'whilst it's a sideways move, I feel I can do this particular post and it will allow me to progress'

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You do need to be careful to have a reason that is in their interest, rather than just yours . . .

Best wishes

5. ttxsd39

ttxsd39 New commenter

Dear Theo... I am trying to get started on a personal statement, but I want to be employed for me, because I'm different... should I stay within the constraints or stand out?...

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo beat me to it. That was going to be my comment , having been told in feedback from an interview that my answer needed to convince them of why they needed me rather than the other way round.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo @ttxsd39 .

Tip: next time, it's better to start a new thread rather than just putting something on the end of another thread. I may not re-visit to see it.

You start a thread by going to a forum front page and clicking the blue Post New Thread.

Depends what you mean by the constraints. If they have set the constraints, then you should abide by them.

And depends what you mean by stand out. Pink paper, green ink, fancy fonts, anything in form or content that is non-professional will make you stand out all the way to the Reject Pile . . .

Letter of application for a teaching post

You are trying to get appointed, not voted for Wacky Teacher Of The Year.

;)

Best wishes

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.