1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do you use TAs.....

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by totally disheartened, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Nobody is saying that a regular HLTA is preferable than a regular teacher. That's a very different thing

2. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

We use HLTA's to cover PPA by splitting our mixed aged classes into cohorts,that way the HLTA is working with half a class.

3. Which again brings me to question why unqualified to teach individuals are in the front of a class. A regular teacher is brilliant, a supply teacher can be the same or even better than a "regular" teacher.
    As I mentioned previously supply staff need to hit the floor running, which we do. Why should students be at a disadvantage? Do you not have staff turnover? Not have "in house" staff covering a class that they have never worked with before?
    Please do not hide behind the "we need staff that children know", or as was mentioned "regular" teachers.
    We are simply talking economics. Admit it!

4. There are still so many who do not understand that PPA time is NOT COVER by the Department for Education definition since teachers on PPA release time are not absent and cover only relates to teacher absence.

5. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Which is why HLTAs can be used for PPA as they can do 'specified work' rather than cover (ie deliver and supervise work planned by a teacher.)

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The problem is not that many HTLA or evenTA's are not excellent and even superb on occasions,but rather that schools are inconsitent as to how and when they are used.As a supply in many schools I have seen TAs take lessons ,and even set the work when no guidance has been offered and they suddenly have to take a class because of variety of reasons.
    However ,although these individuals might do excellent work it still begs the question as to their use....in a school i was working TA's regularly took PPA time.including taking swimming,sports and other activities.....I do not deny the skill and competence of such folk...but i am concerned as to whether their use is appropriate. I did always think such folk were to be used for 'emergancy' cover, but where teachers where known to be absent then provision was to be made to get suitable replacements.by which I would have thought it meant supply teachers.

7. But are HLTAs allowed to teach?

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Depends on what you mean by teach. They can do a wide range of specified work. Much of what is described in the Regulations certainly sounds like a lay person definition of "teaching".

9. That is the whole point. The regulations/guidelines/agreements are so badly written by incompetent politicians/civil/servants that they are open to so many different interpretations. Teaching, delivering, carrying out specified work, supervising; what is the real difference between them all. As a teacher I am expected to perform all those roles but are support staff also expected to perform in the same way? There is so much confusion in schools.

10. Yet another document that states that all classes must be assigned a qualified teacher to teach them for all subjects but then goes on to state that such classes may be covered by others working under the direction and supervision of a teacher.
    How can a teacher teach a class and also supervise someone else at the same time?

11. I think this debate is simple. If you are not qualified then you should not be teaching classes. Even PGCE and GTP students are supervised by a qualified teacher. TA and HLTA's are notsupervised by qualified teachers, they are like health care assistants and Communiy support officers. They have an important and more importantly, much needed support role but thet are NOT teachers, nurses or police officers. Its all about economics and it is devaluing many professions.

12. PPA time is not "cover" time since the teachers are not absent and the subject teaching time under HLTA control exceeds 20% which surely is an excessive amount and goes against guidelines issued to schools. So HLTAs are being used to replace teachers which the DfE has frequently stated is not acceptable.