1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do you think the once ‘caring’ teaching profession has changed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Apr 24, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

More teachers are suffering from burn out and mental health issues, but what do you think has led to this widespread problem and what needs to change to reduce stress in the job?

‘A teacher who previously served in the armed forces was sent him back into the classroom two hours after experiencing a traumatic flashback.

Ian Jones today related how his school failed to appreciate his plight as the NASUWT teaching union backed a call for more training on teacher mental health.

In an emotional address to delegates at the union's annual conference in Belfast, the Leicester teacher said he believed his head would want to do everything she could to help him, but did not understand how terrifying flashbacks are.’

What extra support should be offered to teachers suffering from poor mental health? Were you or your colleagues given support for work-related stress?

https://www.tes.com/news/mental-health-i-was-told-teach-just-2-hours-after-traumatic-flashback

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Data and league tables.
    Gongs for all.
    Grade inflation.
    Simple.
    Once it's no more about the individual students, and everything is the teachers' fault, the whole lot goes mammaries up!

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Academies are different.
    Layers of management everywhere.
    Too many people in support jobs think their jobs should be supported by teachers.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Too large management teams

Too many people with not enough to do

Too many young teachers promoted into management positions who lack even basic people skills.

Too much conflicting advice.

Too little respect for older teachers

Parents having unrealistic (or no) expectations for their children

5. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

There isn't the time to be "caring". These days it is all about "delivering" the results regardless of the cost to the mental health and self esteem of both teachers and pupils. Anyone who has a different agenda is shown the door.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Remember that the contract is open ended. Teachers do the hours necessary to fulfil the requirements of the job. To add 'caring' means that more hours will need to be spent by teachers supporting management in jobs involving making sure that teachers 'care' properly.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Not that TES would recognise this. TES needs Lighthouses for illumination.

8. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

"Why do you think the once ‘caring’ teaching profession has changed?"

"More teachers are suffering from burn out and mental health issues, but what do you think has led to this widespread problem and what needs to change to reduce stress in the job?"

As these are two different questions, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Are the "caring" people in question meant to be school managers? Have they ever been "caring"?

valentyna_holenkova likes this.
  9. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

This.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Turning education into a "business", then jumped on by academy "trusts" (misuse of the word) so they can cream a profit off it.

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Established commenter

I never noticed it was caring in the 60s. The caring years must have come later.
    Post corporal punishment?

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I can recall an incoming 'reforming' HT actually deriding us for having a reputation locally as a caring school. Needless to say they soon put that quaint little anachronism to bed on the road to OFSTED outstandingness.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I laughed (I shouldn't, I know ,I know)
    But
    Given the sorts of classes many of us have to endure, that is such an excellent use of "perspective therapy" for PTSD.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There you are. I read the OP and took it as teaching caring for pupils. Caring for teachers? A joke.

15. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

The much-vaunted “Troops to Teachers” (courtesy of our friend Govey) was such a resounding success (not). Cost millions and attracted a grand total of… 28 people (I’d love to know how many are actually still teaching, I bet it’s in single figures).

Troops to Teachers sees 28 ex-servicemen qualify

A flagship scheme to bring ex-servicemen and women to England's classrooms has seen 28 veterans qualify as teachers since it started.

Former Education Secretary Michael Gove had hoped to attract 2,000 applicants to the £4.3m Troops to Teachers scheme.

In another answer, schools minister Nick Gibb said a total of 551 applications had been received for the scheme, which began training people in 2014.

But only a couple of years after failing miserably to attract tough ex servicemen and wasting millions in the process, the bumbling incompetents are still at it! This time with even nicer sweeteners to hook in the toughies (still bound to fail lamentably but it doesn't matter, they'll try again in 3 years' time).

(2018)
    Scheme to offer military veterans £40k bursaries to retrain as teachers greeted with scepticism

Jesus wept, they’re flogging a horse long dead but never mind, they’re so desperate they’re happy to carry on making the same costly mistakes ad vitam æternam.

What’s the definition of madness again? Oh yes, this: “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”.

(back at school today and already spitting fire!!!)

[​IMG]

George_Randle, agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The problems started as reforms but turned out to be demands. The teacher altered to teach to the demands and then the teachers where blamed when the didn't meet the demands
    Ofsted arrived and huge 5000 plus were declared failing which suggested the quality of teachers was poor. Ofsted caned any school that didn't meet up to the demands, the teacher bore the brunt of this and marked us as failures as we were not working hard enough.
    The government changed workloads, never protected teachers from overwork and time scale growth and then demeaned the profession by letting TA's take over to cover the loss of teachers leaving due to internal target pressure, or heads with little management experience
    Gove set loose quick disciplinary ways to get rid of 'poor' teacher which seemingly heads used to cut wages bills by weeding out the expensive teachers on incompetency claims, whilst young teachers were expected to take on the full role when they did not have the experience.
    Will this do to start where we went wrong.

17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Funnily enough, there's been much more talk about caring and 'happy' schools than there was in the days when they were actually caring places. It's not as simple as whether red or blue sits in Downing Street-some of the worst changes happened in the 90s.

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

For my tuppenceworth, I'd suggest the tread title is misleading in the sense it suggests this phenomena is only applicable to the teaching profession. It's happening across the board, in all walks of life.

It baffles me beyond belief that the very same architects of the decline in attitudes towards employees, to social cohesion and compassion in health care are the ones promoting Britain leaves the EU, but the public are saying "Let's have a bit of that" without being able to connect the dots.

Talk about having learning difficulties.

19. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

None and none. My employer manipulate occupation health’s report to jumpstart capability on me...doubt I am the only one. In my own experience, any illness, family bereavement or health scare was an SLT excuse for bullying and fast track dismissals. Teachers are mismanaged by subhuman underachieving rungs who expect teachers to be superhuman; oh the irony.

20. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Oh and that should have said ‘runts’, rather than ‘rungs’!

agathamorse likes this.