1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do you love you job!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chubbyone, Jan 18, 2012.

1. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

Can I say I love my job!!!!!!! I love the way that my class love to learn, love to have a laugh, love to see the fun in lessons, love to run into school in a morning, love to run down the corridor and not walk as they are desperate to get back to finish their writing, love to do the skid on your knees to get to the carpet first when they think you are not watching, love how a ladybird can make the naughtiest child stop and go wow!!!! And finally love it when the most annoying rude parent says sorry to you and says thanks! sentimental clap trap but after the day I have had it is what will make me get up tomorrow and do it all again, I just hope that tomorrow I have not got to organise a science week, organise staffing issues, cover a class because I have a student, mentor a student who is struggling, deal with not able to line up children, deal with a lost coat with no name in and child doesn't even know what it looks like and finally drop paint all over my new shoes!!! I love my job!!!!!

2. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

Can I say I love my job!!!!!!! I love the way that my class love to learn, love to have a laugh, love to see the fun in lessons, love to run into school in a morning, love to run down the corridor and not walk as they are desperate to get back to finish their writing, love to do the skid on your knees to get to the carpet first when they think you are not watching, love how a ladybird can make the naughtiest child stop and go wow!!!! And finally love it when the most annoying rude parent says sorry to you and says thanks! sentimental clap trap but after the day I have had it is what will make me get up tomorrow and do it all again, I just hope that tomorrow I have not got to organise a science week, organise staffing issues, cover a class because I have a student, mentor a student who is struggling, deal with not able to line up children, deal with a lost coat with no name in and child doesn't even know what it looks like and finally drop paint all over my new shoes!!! I love my job!!!!!

3. You are lucky. I'm pleased you like your job (and not in a sarcastic way) but sadly do not feel the same.

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Lol, I am guessing you teach Primary!
    I love some parts of my job, to be honest. I love the way I often end up laughing at some of my silly students - some of them can be often unintentionally hilarious!
    I also suspect I may be a bit sad as I quite enjoy planning lessons and making amazing resources which mean all the children not in my classes are jealous!
    But I hate the way some children are really rude for no good reason, and long dull staff meetings. x

5. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

Yes primary!!!!!!!! Lovely class of pain in the backside year 1 but ohhhhhh I love them!!!!! Even the band of kids who I am convinced have given me grey hairs!!!!!!!! They just make me smile when they did not realise that I was next door in the open plan and could see exactly what they were doing!!!!! It's the way they suddenly realise you are watching them and then sit up straight with the look of ' I wasn't doing anything!!!!!' ohhhhhh love it love it love it!

6. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

Ohhhhhh and forgot to say the reaction of the class today when I said bad news is miss xxxxxx is not in tomorrow and 2 kids went arghhhhh majority gave a quiet yes, then when I said the really bad news was they had me again in the morning and they all went YES!!!!!!!!

7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

You are really sweet, no wonder they enjoy coming to school with such a lovely enthusiastic teacher x

8. I love mine and am very passionate about it. It is different every day. It is important to society even if they do not know I exist. It is never, ever boring. I am appreciated by my managers and colleagues. It develops and changes over time. It is f.ecking brill. It feels like home. I love the company so much that I work on two voluntary committees for work welfare.
    It is also very stressful, tiring, involves very long hours and comes with a whack load of responsibility and if you get it wrong, you are in for huge compensation claims.
    And having a very spoilt, useless person working for you is no fun but that person is not legally easily removed (and that part of the job is no fun anyway - if you want to manage people, you sometimes have to dismiss people or you have to invest time in them, which is equally frustrating as with some you know it is a waste of effort).
    But I love it.
    I am not teaching [​IMG]
    (well, not really - I organise company language programmes and teach 2 groups myself - but that is on top of my regular job).

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I don't teach either.
    I also love my job. As I've been involved again in redundancy procedures this past week, I'm quietly and profoundly grateful still to have a job to go to tomorrow.

10. I can believe it - one of our sister companies has got rid of two departments and America has completey got rid of a daughter company (more or less overnight, as their laws are different to ours).
    Are you still where you were, ILS?

11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Yes CQ: still in drug intervention/offender management but also delivering employment/training sessions since our entire regional training unit was made redundant last year. We have a 12 month extension on our contract but had to lose 3 staff from our team. You're right - things are tough out there.

12. In terms of being in the classroom I have had the best year yet. I love all my classes and even my worst I can see development and progress and all my students are passionate about science.

But I hate everything that is going on outside of the classroom, from Gove right down to the dynamics in my faculty. I can't say I love my job while there is something fundamentally wrong on all levels of education.

13. I'm genuinely not trying to stir it here but how many people who love their job have significant responsibility outside school? By that I mean young children, elderly parents, a spouse who works away etc. Could you show the same level of commitment and intensity of working in 10, 20 years time?

14. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

Have to say that I have a mum and dad who are both got disabilities ( mum is riddled with arthritis and dad se ere heart problems) a daughter who has autistic tendencies namely what was is commonly known as aspergers and a husband who until recently was serving in the British army and away to who knows where. Thankfully bubbie has retired now so one less concern and I still love my job. Been the same since I started teaching as nqt in 96. So yes I can say I can show the same level of commitment. I have been in my class expecting to see my husband that weekend and then received a phone call to say he is going somewhere and dont know when I will see him, still do my job with excitement. Had a phone call in the morning to say he as been injured and still carried on. And gone and driven to Ipswich from the midlands to pick him up after a tour got left after work, driven there and back and still went to work next day. Finally dropped husband off at brize norton or a flight for 6 month in Afghanistan, driven back and spoke to Ofsted as a subject leader, taught next day and got good with outstanding elements with inspector enquiring if I was alright as seemed 'pale' of which was head said what I had and his words were the inspector looked pale and went 'really?' so yes you can still say you love your job through this!!!!!! It is the job and the kids skidding into the class's when they think you are not watching that's makes it wow!!!!!! I even saw the funny side when as they ran in one day, one banged into my arm as I was getting a piece of ' writing' and it resulted in me spending 2 hours up a and e with a suspected broken wrist!!!!!!! I must be sad but there you go!!!!!!!!!

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

After nearly 30 years I still like helping children to learn new stuff, especially when it's stuff they want to learn.

It's all the layers of bureaucracy, documentation and hyper-accountability that have been heaped on this rather simple, enjoyable task that I have no time for, and which spoils much of the job for me.