1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do you have to be 13 or over to be on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by pmp4, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I was delivering an eSafety staff meeting last night and somebody asked me why you had to be 13 years and over to be on sites like Facebook.
    I told them that this was the age you are legally liable for the content you post on the web.
    They then asked for proof to show a parent. THe thing is that I don't know how I know this. I must have got the information from somewhere. I have googled it and get many sound answers why but not an actual official reason.
    Am I wrong? Anyone know where I can find the info please?

2. My understanding was that it was to demonstrate compliance with COPPA.

3. <font size="2">It is not against the law in this country to have a Facebook under the age of 13. It is however against the law for Facebook to have anyone under the age of 13 as a member without parental permission. American Law says that no one under the age of 13 can be part of a Social Networking site with out parental permission. So Facebook chose to put a ban on anyone who is under the age of 13 from using their site otherwise they would need to seek parental permission which would have been a nightmare!!! It is all do with Sarah&rsquo;s Law in America I believe. </font>

4. You can report a person to Facebook for being underage and they will remove them. We have sadly had to do this!!