1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do women pay the pink tax?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35486308

"Boots has reduced the price of "feminine" razors to bring them in line with men's. The chemist chain says it's just an isolated incident, but campaigners say its part of a "pink tax" that discriminates against women. Who's right and what's the bigger story, ask Jessica McCallin and Claire Bates.

Campaigners against what's been dubbed the "pink tax" - where retailers charge women more than men for similar products - are celebrating after Boots said it would change the price of some of its goods
    ."

The article gives examples of other products that have a price premium added where there is feminine styling.

Surely men's razors will work as well on women as women's razors do? Why on earth does anybody buy the pink ones?

FlyingFoxBat likes this.
  2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

"Prof Nancy Puccinelli, a consumer psychologist at Oxford University says that her research suggests that women are actually much more careful shoppers than men, better able to scrutinise adverts and pricing gimmicks. She wonders if women are perceiving more value in the more expensive products."

Oooh, look. A Louis Vuitton handbag

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I don't. I buy disposable razors for men and I've one of these. Merkur.

upload_2016-2-5_12-9-23.png

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

As long as it's not my razor.

colpee likes this.
  5. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Why do Burberry handbags cost much more than at M&S? Why does a BMW M3 cost twice at much as the base model?

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I sussed out that buying men's razors was much cheaper years ago. That said, although logically I know that it's not exactly a piece of technical machinery and that they are basically exactly the same in every aspect apart from colour, there is this little nagging doubt at the back of my mind which tries to convince me that there must be a reason why they have created gender specific razors and what if I'm doing myself some kind of harm by using the razors that they have found only work on men instead of the ones designed for women's skin. Stupid, but our blind faith that the people in charge must know what they're doing serves to convince us that if products are gendered there must be a valid reason for it that we're just not aware of.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Do men's razors not work on female skin?

I doubt a pink handle or a feminine name makes much difference.

8. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

With a Burberry handbag you're paying the majority of the amount for the name. The actual material cost (and particularly the labour) are very low.

There is actually a huge difference than an M3 and a 316i.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I assumed they were a different shape but maybe not!

10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Of course they do.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well I guess the plastic mold could be different forms but surely the blades are just straight metal?

12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I once bought one of those fancy designed-for-women ones, not sure if it was Venus but something along those lines. It took off skin and left stubble. I use an epilady type thingie now.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Of course they are: women don't have opposable thumbs.

Sillow and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I always buy mens disposables.

15. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Exactly. So is it fair somethings cost more than similar items?

16. Duke of York

This isn't a question about fairness, since nobody is being denied the right to buy any product.

The question is why does anyone pay significantly more for a product like a razor because it supposedly has feminine styling, when one purchased in the men's section will serve exactly the same purpose?

grumpydogwoman and wanet like this.
  17. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I have always assumed, more men's razors sold thus cheaper to produce, economies of scale.

18. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

With the greatest respect, this is an answer from a guy with little or no deep understanding of the female psyche.

On a practical level, yes, the cost of each bag would be similar but it's nothing to do with cost. For us females, it has more to do with personal satisfaction.

Examples: 1) I have an expensive signature perfume. This am I had a doctors appointment and I used my perfume before I left the house. I wouldn't dream of going over the front door without it. It's to do with me being me.
    2) I always wear expensive undies if going to an interview or other important, formal meeting. No one else knows, but I feel better-far more confident.

The comparison of the cars means nothing to me. I have owned and driven a number of pricey, special cars-husband is a petrol head-but these cars have not meant that much to me as all I expect a car to do is get me from A to B safely.

19. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I am now curious as to why?

20. Duke of York

So what might we work out from this? If women bought men's razors instead of the pink ones, they'd be even cheaper to produce. It seems to me that women are costing me more money all round.

racroesus and wanet like this.