1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do we need a Minister for Hunger in this day and age?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yet another distressing story about life under the Tories. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-46827360

"Children are arriving at a school so hungry they are searching the bins for food, its head teacher has said.

A cross-party group of MPs has called on the government to appoint a Minister for Hunger to deal with "food insecurity" especially among children.

Siobhan Collingwood, head teacher of the school in Morecambe, Lancashire, said one in 10 of its pupils came from families using foodbanks.

"Unfortunately I've got the faces behind the statistics," she added.

The Environmental Audit Committee highlighted 2017 Unicef figures showing 19% of children under 15 in the UK live with adults who struggle to buy food.

The government said the number of children living in workless households is at a record low.

Ms Collingwood said there were currently 35 children at her school whose families are supported by foodbanks, adding: "It's probably higher because they are the ones we know about."

"When children are food deprived it alters their behaviour and they do become quite food obsessed, so we have some children who will be stealing fruit cores from the bins," she added.

"We have children who have nothing in their lunch boxes and children who are just fixated upon food."

The head teacher said it was "heartbreaking" and added that parents had been "arriving at school literally bursting into tears telling me they have no means of feeding their children".

Ms Collingwood said she had noticed more problems since the introduction of Universal Credit.

"Families are coming in telling me they are routinely loaning food to each other, my day-to-day experience is telling me this is a growing problem."

A Department of Work and Pensions spokeswoman said that, since 2010, one million people had been lifted out of absolute poverty - including 300,000 children.

She added: "We already provide support through free school meals and our Healthy Start Vouchers."

red_observer likes this.
  2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Simply shocking. Charles Dickens would recognise our society easily.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Lots of kids at our place get a free breakfast when they arrive at school.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

In answer to your question I can think of 12 to 14 million reasons.

5. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Yep and still people vote Tory. No doubt people will spout some BS about Corbyn being unelectable but there are other parties to vote for.

You don't have to vote for the party whose policies are killing people.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  6. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

Nah.
    I cannot compute this.
    Some of my targets in my setting, used to be, around childhood obesity.
    Obesity is the problem.
    Or not
    Or hunger
    Which is it? I am confused.
    Perfectly well from my own experience I know that nutrition is a problem. For both rich and poor families.
    Why are some children starving and some so fat.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

More is known than ever before about how poor diets and the lack of regular meals affects people's health and ability to concentrate, yet in one of the world's wealthiest economies, we still have children going hungry.

I found the comments from the DWP as unbelievably crass, as I find Tory MPs seeking photo opportunities to open food banks. This government is a disgrace.

8. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

Is it this
    That the legend states we are all obese and must run and eat less this and that and the other.
    And the truth is that our children are starving.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Obesity can be caused by the wrong food not just too much generally. No nutritious breakfast or lunch then fill up on bread and chips.