1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do they need music teachers in the ME?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rosygrl, Dec 16, 2017.

1. rosygrl

rosygrl New commenter

Cant see there being too much demand for musical instrument tuition in the ME and consequently I dont understand why the need for music teachers.

I know of no musicians from that region of the world. Music is frowned upon in Saudi anyway. In the UAE, they have this kind of call and response arabic singing however. There is also arabic popular music as Ive heard it being played when I was there a while back. But apart from singers, I dont know a single famous musician from the ME. So why they ask for music teachers in the ME, I dont quite get it. I am talking particularly about the Gulf states. Are there actually any schools with an orchestra in these countries I wonder? How many schools have students doing IGCSE music?

2. Penny10p

Penny10p New commenter

in the UAE the international schools all have music as part of their curriculum. In the schools I worked at it was compulsory (and much enjoyed) at Primary, and at Key Stage 3 (where it was generally endured). I have never heard of anyone sitting GCSE or A Level music but I'm sure it must happen. There are music schools where parents send their kids for individual music lessons. Remember, the majority of the population of the UAE are expat. Can't speak for other ME countries.

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

An interesting question. ‘Western’ music certainly flourishes in parts of the Middle East. There is, for instance, an Israel Philharmonic Orchestra and there are/ have been countless world-class Jewish soloists. Currently, I’m told that the music of Hafez Nazeri is influenced by both Iranian and ‘Western’ influences, ‘fusion music’ being a well-established global trend. I’m sure you could name many examples. Perhaps the Gulf states are looking for someone like you to help them catch up with developments in other parts of the region.

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

In the ME, there are quite a few schools that call themselves "international", but really the curriculum is British and the students are mostly locals. In the UAE, many Emirati parents are desperate to send their little darlings to such schools, as the ones administered by the MoE are so blooming awful. However, that does not really get round the problem that many Muslims consider music, especially "western" music of any kind, to be haram (forbidden by Islam). It was the same problem in Egypt and in Qatar. When there is a conflict between the curriculum and the wishes of a significant number of parents, most SLTs cravenly capitulate and make some feeble excuse about being sensitive to local culture.

Just because the majority of the population are expats, Penny10p, does not mean that all of the "international" schools in a particular country adhere to "international" standards. Try telling that to the Supreme (and Absolutely Perfect) Education Council in Qatar!

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

If the school wants to be an IB school, it wont have a choice. I just checked 4 well known schools in that area and they ALL teach music.

6. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

I'm not sure you HAVE to have music to be an IB school. We've been an IB school for over 25 years and we only introduced IB Music about four years ago. Still, any decent school will have a music program, muskiteech, so maybe there are opportunities out there just waiting for you...

7. jacks_wasted_life

jacks_wasted_life New commenter

I am in agreement with Miketribe. The school I teach in the ME is full IB (PYP-MYP-DP) and does not offer music. I also taught at an IB school in Asia where we did not offer music. If I remember the programme prescriptions correctly, the IB requires the school to undergo some form of art (visual, drama, or music) consistently over the course of the students' education, but there is no strict requirement that it must be music. Though, I do admit, it's been a while since I looked at the Programme Standards and Practices documentation.

8. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

Has musikteech had a change of gender?

9. dumbbells66

@miketribe thats because your school only does the DP, and music sits in group 6 which is the optional group.
    "The MYP requires at least 50 hours of teaching time for each subject group in each year of the programme. In years 4 and 5, students have the option to take courses from six of the eight subject groups within certain limits, to provide greater flexibility in meeting local requirements and individual student learning needs."

Music is part of the Arts subject group.

How is arts structured in the MYP?
    In MYP years 1 to 3, arts course structures include a minimum of one visual arts discipline and one performing arts discipline followed by a choice of disciplines in years 4 and 5 of the programme.

The arts disciplines offered in the MYP are:

• Visual art.
    • Media.
    • Drama.
    • Music.
    • Dance.
    Schools can organize the study of arts in the MYP as:

• discrete disciplines, focusing on each discipline separately
    • integrated courses, in which a combination of either performing arts disciplines or visual arts disciplines are studied. Schools are not permitted to combine performing and visual arts as one integrated course
    • modular courses. Students undertake a consecutive rotation of disciplines for a set period of time each, though not necessarily a full school year. These modules each focus on a single arts discipline – such as visual art, music or drama"
    Its pretty tough to meet these requirements and NOT teach it. Therefore most schools provide it.

10. jacks_wasted_life

Actually, based on what you've listed from the documentation, it is easy enough to meet the requirements if you offer drama and a visual art, Dumbbells. I took a school through authorisation following this very strategy as we had English teachers who could teach Drama and we had significant trouble recruiting a decent music teacher.

11. dumbbells66

Well you obviously arent working in one of the 4 IB schools i checked in that region before i posted it. They all taught it.

12. jacks_wasted_life

I was responding to your first statement, Dumbbells. I was just trying to add some balance by illustrating that it is the school's choice of what to offer and that it is possible, which I had understood to be the intention of the thread. My apologies if I misunderstood your meaning.

13. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It’s very possible to be anIB school and avoid music. Also very unusual. The IB schools in the region, and many nonIB schools as well, tend to have decent to awesome music programs. One I can think of has students earning places at Julliard most years.

14. dumbbells66

Some confusion im sure. I was just pointing out that its not a lost cause looking for teaching positions in the ME

miketribe likes this.
  15. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Probably says a lot about the way Arabic states are presented in Western media (also the fact that it is very rare for British radio/tv to play music sung in any language other than English).

However, there are many amazing musicians from the middle east - try Omar Suleiman, Trio Joubran, Shahoo orchestra, Salim Rashid Suri, Orchestra National de Barbes just to scratch the surface. Then, of course, there's the whole Sufi traditional of devotional music plus state sponsored orchestra...

Since Radio 3 stopped doing Late Junction it's now extremely rare to hear this kind of music on UK radio, though Tom Ravenscroft and Cerys Matthews occassionally play some of it on BBC Radio 6. The WOMAD festival will regularly programme musicians from the Middle East though...

Alice K and ejclibrarian like this.
  16. rosygrl

rosygrl New commenter

Sorry you have quoted syrian and Iranian musicians and both of them are renowned for being singers. There is a lot of Syrian music and a lot of Iranian singers.
    I do not know any musicians who play western instruments like the piano, violin from any Gulf region. Yes they play their arabic instruments, but mostly as accompaniments for singers. Anyway, I can't see any music teacher who would know how to play arabic instruments and be able to teach them in a class. So the answer must be that music teachers in the Gulf, teach EXPAT children who DO play standard western instruments. I may be wrong but I hazarded a guess since Gulf Golf reckons the music programmes in the Gulf are decent.

17. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Established commenter

Finally we meet Musikteech's girlfriend

18. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Those of you that know the Saintly school in Bahrain will also know tht it has/had an exceptional music department, when I was there it had at least three generalist subject teachers and four instrument teachers all full time. That was their choice and they recruited appropriately. It's a matter of what you want for your students/school and going out and getting it!

As for the other matter, likes attract, I think?

19. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Yes, makhnovite, it is true that there are schools in the ME that mostly have expat students. It is also true that there are schools that have a mixture of locals and expats. There are also schools, even ones that call themselves "international", where most of the students are locals. If there is a significant proportion of local students, then the school may be under pressure from some parents (and maybe some students) not to teach music. This is because many Muslims consider music to be haram (sinful, against the teaching of Islam).

Yes, how wonderful it would be, dumbbells66, if all of the schools in the ME were to be first-rate IB schools. But they're not.

jacks_wasted_life likes this.
  20. jacks_wasted_life

My experience summed up exactly.

Not just the ME, Hippo. When I first got into IB, I was perhaps a bit naive and was easily swayed by others who professed the way and truth of the programmes. There has been a huge degree of variance between the IB schools I've worked in and having the sticker slapped on the school website isn't always an indicator of quality (I'm looking at you China, with your unchecked growth in IB schools!).