1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do teaching job ads never show the pay?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Julian7, Nov 26, 2011.

1. I currently work in IT but my wife is a new teacher. When I look at job ads for myself I expect to see the salary being offered. This avoids me looking at jobs that I would never consider. It also indicates the level of the job being advertised and the expectations of the employer.

However, when I look at teaching ads on behalf of my wife, I rarely see pay quoted. I've just looked at some TES job ads at random. The first (an independent school) says "an attractive package is available subject to qualifications and experience". The second (a state school) says "Teacher Scale: £23,024 - £38,722 AST/SLT scale: £38,722 - £55,466", which is no more helpful due to the large range. Others say nothing about pay at all.

Why is this? Do teachers apply for jobs before they know what the pay will be? Is there an informal phone call before applying? Do schools pay whatever the applicant asks?

I'd be interested to hear people's comments on this.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Independent schools can pay what they want but all state schools pay on the same scale. So in your first year you are paid M1, M2 in your second and so forth. So the salary you receive depends on how long you have been teaching ( with some proviso's, you can ask to start higher but need a pretty good reason why!) Some posts are for those on Leadership scales ( which your wife wouldn't be considered for yet!) and some are for special types of teachers-eg AST. Some posts also attract a TLR allowance ( but again these are usually for experienced teachers with specific skills the school is looking for.)
    So for an NQT, you would expect to start on the bottom of the scale, ie M1 and move up. Of course Academies are a different matter!

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

That one probably means that the independent school in question has its own salary scale which is above the state scale.

The other big difference you'll find between teaching and IT is the contract. There is a "School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document, and state school posts will be offered with this as the basis of the contract. So whereas in IT you would probably get the contract and study it before formally accepting the job, in teaching you know the deal from the outset. So for a permanent post, you'd normally accept the job immediately, and the actual contract often doesn't appear until after starting the post. However, since academies are not bound by the STPCD, teachers are now going to have to start asking more questions, and making sure they have seen more details before accepting a post.

4. This is because in local authority schools, teachers' pay is linked to the individual's point on the pay scale, not to the post. That's why you find the pay band so broad: if you are a new teacher, you will (nearly always) start on point 1 of the main pay scale; if you have been teaching for 5 or 6 years, you will be on point 6; more than that and you may be on the upper pay scale. But the post will be the same - i.e. a classroom teacher.

To see what your wife will earn, you can look at the teachers' pay spine. (TES Jobs section) As a new teacher, she will be on MPS 1. (It does vary according to whether the school you are in is in London or not.)