1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

why do supply agencies take pictures of supply teachers when they join?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by -LittleMiss-, Nov 10, 2018.

1. -LittleMiss-

-LittleMiss- New commenter

Hi

I signed up to some agencies, all of them took a picture..(for the profile they said)...are they sending our pictures to schools, asking which supply teacher they want?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It may well be for identification purposes. With all the worry about Child Protection it's so important who we let into our schools. It's just an extra to your DBS you take with you to the School after all.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Like lara, I assumed it was for ID. It never occurred to me that schools might be selecting on photo....

4. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

They send the photo to the school with a breakdown of your details. This allows the school to identify you when you arrive and also if your sent somewhere and the cover manager doesn't know where and has to find you in the morning because you have been mistaken for someone else they know what you look like.

Also if you do really badly they know what you look like to.

5. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

Id badges

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have my photo on my agency ID card which I have to wear when I turn up at the school. I also wear it at work if the school does not provide a lanyard.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Also useful to identify the body if it all goes pear shaped.:confused:

8. -LittleMiss-

i havent been given any id badges

9. Lara mfl 05

:p Though the way things are going in schools these days . . . . ;)

10. Lara mfl 05

usually a School would provide one so you can be identified whilst in School. They often say 'Visitor' or sometimes 'Supply' :( :mad: and you could then just slip in your own photograph in the space. Just don't forget to remove the picture when you hand in the ID badge.

11. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

It’s so that schools have proof from the agency. The photo id and details mean that the agency has given confirmation that they have checked DBS, qualifications, Right to Work etc. The school then only has to record that on their Single Central Record and match the photo to the person turning up to teach that day. They may or may not use the photo on a badge.

12. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Hoping it's not so that they can see who looks young, compliant and cheap...or who looks like they 'should or shouldn't' work in their school...

agathamorse likes this.
  13. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Agencies take photos for safeguarding, as others have already said. In the same way schools take photos of staff when they appoint them to permanent or fixed term contracts. Agencies have to follow compliance and safeguarding as well, and having staff on their books with no actual evidence of who they are or what they look like can lead to major difficulties for them.

If schools really are sifting people out due to appearance, or judgements on their ethnicity, age, or sex, there's a legal issue there called discrimination.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Of course there is, but it is entirely toothless in this situation as it could never be proven.

In my position I am particularly not happy about this, I am pretty damn certain I would be discriminated against.

15. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

When a supply teacher arrives at my school, the photo has already been sent to me so I can confirm that they are who I was expecting. It's an extra layer of protection to enable school to safeguard and has no other purpose. We only see photos AFTER we have been told who is coming and would not have the opportunity to choose based on pictures (which had never occurred to me until you mentioned it) at all.
    Just to reiterate school only gets the photo AFTER booking you.

16. -LittleMiss-

I really hope that is the way it is, thanks for sharing your post

agathamorse likes this.
  17. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Good to know.

sooooexcited and agathamorse like this.
  18. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Hence the need to put on loads of slap, have your hair professionally done and be wearing Spanx when you go in to register. And that applies to the girls also.;):D

BetterNow, ScienceGuy and agathamorse like this.
  19. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Safeguarding. Didn't you know there's a queue of people waiting to impersonate supply teachers so they can get into schools and be verbally abused, ignored and under paid.

20. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I was safeguarding governor at my school for a while and went through this in detail with our HR manager to understand what steps we took to make sure checks were done on agency supply staff. It was exactly what @Sundaytrekker says.

Agency sends us details of the supply teacher who is coming to us and confirms the agency has done all the required checks - DBS, right to work, qualifications etc. The info sent to us includes their photo so that when the teacher arrives we can check that the individual who is now standing in our Reception is the same person whose photo the agency sent us.

Otherwise impersonation would be possible - although frankly highly unlikely.

Hard to believe any HR person would waste their time selecting on appearance although I suppose they could.