1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do some parents think it is okay for their primary children to play 18+ games!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Happy Chappy, Apr 26, 2011.

1. These games and the parents that bring them up! This is why behaviour is getting worse and teaching no longer feels like teaching but a hard slog trying to help develop children to behaviour correctly! I am feeling very disallusioned with it all and I have only been teaching 4 years!!!

2. The parents were brought up like this too! That is the problem - we are not tackling 30 years of social decline! I am an 80's child but some of the parents of some of my year 5's were born in the 90's

3. It's illegal for retailers to sell games like this to under 18s, so there's a question over whether parents should be letting children play them. It would probably be sensible to make this a whole-school issue. Letter from the head/governors? If it's disrupting the children's education or behaviour, it would be worth giving it a higher profile.
    As for whether it is causing behaviour problems, that's another matter. Schools have changed a lot over the past 30 years too, which might not be unrelated.[​IMG]

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I am appalled that parents let children play with such things too. But having said that, my sweet and innocent daughter has had some pretty revolting ideas all of her very own it would seem since about the age of 4 despite only ever having watched cbeebies and attending a tiny c of e school. OK her ideas don't got as far as rape, and she tends to talk out her ideas rather than act them out ......... but it's weird ------ I could think it is because other children are watching some stuff they shouldn't be watching but I'm pretty sure that's not the case, it's just a vivid imagination sometimes going down the wrong direction.
    I don't know what to suggest, other than whatever this material is, you have a hard job stopping it influencing in some way what goes on in your classroom. Are they old enough to engage in discussion etc on censorship, what is appropriate for different age groups, what they would give their own children to play with and watch etc etc, do you have other equally compelling (but not undesirable) that you can use to fire their imagination in the classroom instead of this rubbish? At least some gorey stuff from history would be educational, even if just as revolting in its own way.

5. It's not exclusive to KS2 sadly. When I taught year 1 I had children who would watch movies such as 'saw' and 'hostel' and the boys in my year 2 class are obsessed with Call of Duty. I won't let my OH play it when I'm home so I just can't comprehend why their parents are happy for their 7 year olds to play it!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well that's all right then!!! Some parents are clueless!

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Surely not, they would have had to have had their children aged 11!!

8. I agree it is not just ks2. I teach in year 1 and 2. The children in my previous classes and current class watch Family Guy, Gavin and Stacey, play on COD and grand theft auto. Their parents know all about it and dont care. They then wonder why the children behave so poorly and use such bad and aggressive language. I wouldnt even let my husband play fighting games when the children were in the house never mind let them do it. I dont let my 13 year old watch 15 films which she is always moaning about because her friends can. I limit the amount of time they are allowed on the computer and restrict the sites they go on according to age. If the kids are busy on the computer then they are leaving the parents alone.

9. I think a lot of parents think they are good parents because they buy their kids all this expensive stuff, kitting out their bedrooms with every gadget under the sun and probably then showing off to all their friends about it. The additional benefit is that they don't have their children under their feet - they can send them up to their bedrooms where they can entertain themselves. It worries me enormously - not just the impact of rotten computer games and DVDs, but the total lack of parenting. I really do believe this is going to come back and bite us very hard in the not too distant future.

10. i think it already is doing!