1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do so many think the rules don't apply to them?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Aug 4, 2020.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

There seems to be a worrying minority of people who think that the rules are ridiculous or unnecessary. In the past week I have experienced a small supermarket where only about half the customers wore masks, a cafe that didn't ask for contact details, a man very close behind me in a queue (when I asked him politely to step back he said " stop worrying I haven't got it) and a neighbour just back from Spain who yesterday visited one of our local bars.
    My experience is that most people are following the rules but local lockdowns mean that everyone misses out on things because of the stupidity and ignorance of a few.
    How long will it be before this stirs up real resentment amongst those who are doing the right thing? Could it ultimately lead to civil unrest?

Jamvic, Marshall, strawbs and 5 others like this.
  2. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Ironically, the freedom loving mask rebels are curtailing our freedom by ensuring that the virus keeps spreading and getting back to normal remains impossible.

The freedom loving mask refusers are the ones who will ensure it's still not safe to go back to school in September.

If or when new lockdowns and restrictions occur, whether local or general, they will almost certainly be as a result of people refusing to follow guidelines because they want to assert their freedoms.

Freedom to be absolute fkwitted selfish twits.

It's the teacher in me telling the class that's still in 5 minutes after break started that it's their own fault and if they followed the rules they'd have been out on time.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There are no longer any "rules".

That's why.

4. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

I understand that as long as they are following their instincts that is fine.

5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Except they probably don't die from being kept in.

But what's the difference between us-followed-the-rules and the rest of them, if we open schools fully? The virus isn't going to refrain from attacking the child whose parents distanced, wore masks, sacrificed meals out etc. So if one set of parents weren't selfish, they could still get infected from the child of the parents who went on a plane, ate out every night, hugged strangers in the pub etc.

If we open schools, what makes us any better than the rule-breakers? Isn't it MORE likely to spread in schools than in a shop?

afterdark likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

I don’t think it will lead to civil unrest. I do think people are weary of mixed signals coming from the Gvt.

Mixed signal 1: Wear masks but eat out where you will have to take them off

Mixed signal 2: Stay safe and alert but travel in the uk abroad if you can

Mixed signal 3: Work at home but go in if you can to get the economy moving

7. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

A lot of people are selfish. That's what.

The idea of 'the common good' to them is fascism. Their cover is that it's a political issue, it isn't, they are just the dregs of society and the world would be better off if they all get the virus and become seriously ill, or preferably, die.

It's rays of light like that, that keep me going. :)

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Because they often are.

drvs, Jonntyboy, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

There are posters on here who are actively avoiding wearing a mask. Perfectly within the guidance if you're doing that by avoiding settings where they're mandatory. Some however are simply refusing to wear a mask, probably with no exemption, or referring to masks as face nappies and the virus as cough 19.
    Perhaps posters falling into the latter category might be able to answer your question.

10. littlejackhorner

Whilst I agree that some people can be quite selfish, others simply don't understand what is being asked of them.

Regardless of the reasons for their behaviour I certainly don't wish serious illness or death on them.

Jamvic likes this.
  11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

If they don't understand by now, they are either wilfully ignorant, arrogant, or not capable of understanding. I don't want any truck with the first two.

12. littlejackhorner

Interesting comment @LondonCanary . So which rules or guidelines do you think are necessary and which ones aren't?

stopwatch likes this.
  13. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Absolutely.

The only difference is teachers (and students) will be ORDERED back to school. The rest of it is down to personal choice and, if schools reopen, any other protection measures could become largely futile anyway.

14. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

'Pour encourager les autres'. as Voltaire said.

In any case, their actions make it clear they want to do the same to me, so it's either me or them.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  15. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I think you may have miss-spelled 'twits'.:D

16. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Cummings set the bar and we have suffered ever since.

I know two people currently in Spain who have already said they are not isolating when they come back. I s seen so many men not wear masks in the supermarkets I’ve been in.

we never really locked down in the first place so why should daft people now start to take it seriously?

17. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

That's deliberate. It gets past the word blocker.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Until everybody is equally threatened by the virus, their response to preventing it will vary. In its present form only a very small proportion of the general population will die from it, or be seriously incapacitated by it. The vast majority will either not notice they've had it, or will fully recover. If it killed on contact, 100% fatal, I suspect we'd see a different frame of mind, not that I wish that on anybody.

Plus some people are naturally selfish, ignorant, deluded and/or as thick as pigsh*t - these are givens in any society.

19. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I made a long train trip to see family last week and was horrified, saddened, disgusted for a short part of my journey to find myself near a group of 4 young men sitting together (late teens, early twenties) all of whom had a mask in their hands but at no time did they put it on their face. This was in addition to regular announcements that travellers should, if possible, sit in window seats only. There weren’t that many people in the carriage so it was indeed possible to do this. I despair.

lorencanna and Jamvic like this.
  20. littlejackhorner

I totally agree with you re Cummings. It certainly changed my attitude towards the government and it's something many of my friends and family quote i.e one rule for them and another for us " plebs".