1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do so many teachers object to going on strike?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by salix, Jun 18, 2011.

1. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Isnt it amazing when how people turn when they others dont agree. Totally agree with the post about adjusting our pensions accordingly, for years and years we put in 6% and the govt 14%-not sustainable anymore.
    We have excellent t and cs, it makes me sure of how blinded and deluded some are when they think we have the right to strike about this cushy job when our soldiers are dying everyday for a pittance. Id personally give them 10% of my wage anytime. Id also give firemen and nurses more, you know the people who actually save lives everyday
    Why dont the blinded souls on here who think we have it so bad look up what a solider gets paid in Hellmand at the moment.
    Some of the people on here could 'peddle rubbish' for england

2. What was that you were saying about the little fishies Milgod?

3. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

Why don't you then?

4. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

With every post you show that they must be.

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I was the Somerset Limbo Stick champion three years running.

How did you know?

6. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

[​IMG]

7. Remember when teachers, nurses, doctors, librarians, social workers, care assistants, bin men and lollipop ladies crashed the stock market, wiped out banks, took billions in bonuses and paid no tax? No, me neither.

8. The Red Heron

1-I find it incredible that any teacher can moan about their jobs when there are 100 people going for each job at the moment and long term unemployment is devastating families
    2-a soldier in Afghanistan gets paid less than a teacher sipping coffee in a comfy armchair
    3-for years and years we had it good when the govt paid 14% into our pension funds
    4-the people comparing our 'profession' with that of a doctor, an accountant or a lawyer must be so far up their own ar.se its untrue
    ...so no I wont be striking and neither will anybody in my school

9. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I'm not surprised you & your colleagues won't be striking - from what you say about your school you have a very easy job! Some of us are not so lucky! 1. I do not see why the fact that some people are unemployed should mean that others have to accept any bone tossed at them and their pay and conditions adapted without negotiation. 2. Yes, it is a well known fact that soldiers are underpaid, again I do not see the connection, or think the conditions of other jobs should justify ours being adapted. 3.YOU may have had it good for years, I however have just begun teaching and so will be working until I am 65 already and pay monthly contributions which along with my student loan, increased cost of living and pay freezes already push me to the brink of what I can afford. 4. I agree here, but in the same respect I do not think we should be compared to any jobs that do not required a post graduate education, which you seem to have done previously when comparing salaries.

10. The Red Heron

As someone whose just started teaching against someone whose been doing over 10 years..I suggest you wind your neck in, get in the real world we live, grow up a little and come back when you know what youre talking about.

11. cally1980

Joined teaching FROM the real world, I'm 30 years old and have said nothing out of place.

12. The Red Heron

ok son,go and swot up on your lesson plans

13. cally1980

Ouch, your words sting.

14. The Red Heron

Good...posts like yours make me laugh. Youve just joined teaching?? Well presumably you must have known what you were signing up for when you joined the profession? yes? so whats your problem now? Or do you like the bandwagon youre jumping on...?
    I think youre very silly..nqt wage nearly 22k..you go and find a job that you can work 39/52 weeks a year with your skillset-you wont find one

15. cally1980

Yes, I was aware that the pension was actually very good when I joined the profession. I was earning more in my unskilled and quite frankly píss easy job as a Mortgage Sales Advisor when I was 22! I think YOU are very silly to speak down to people like their opinion is worth less than your own, or their experiences count for nothing. But hey ho - I expect you will get over my feelings about your silliness just as I will get over your feelings about mine :)

16. The Red Heron

Well we're agreed then...enjoy your strike day hope its worth it and the days pay you lose...though how you can afford it with your outgoings I dont know. I never had a student loan in my day so wouldnt know about the debt youre in.