1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do so many teachers object to going on strike?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by salix, Jun 18, 2011.

1. In what sense don't we 'come close'. A profession implies an all degree (and beyond) educated workforce of people, usually with their own professional body setting standards of practice. I'd say we fit pretty well into that definition as teachers.
    You may not compare yourself to the other profesions, but I certainly do.

2. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

'Paying you peanuts isn't going to get your brother a job'

36k peanuts?

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

We don't have to spend as long 'studying' as a lawyer or doctor. Also, to become a teacher the standards are much lower. I am all for raising the minimum requirements if it means teachers are better respected.
    How many teachers do you know who are women who decided to give it a go because it would fit in with holiday time? Do you think it would be so easy to become a lawyer or doctor like that?

4. Milgod, your post is patronising and sexist beyond belief. It does however, give a nice insight into your own level of professionalism.

5. I am in two minds whether to post this, as I dislike the unpleasant comments, but I feel strongly so I will. I don't think this will be a popular thing to say, but this is my take:
    I worked in the private sector and my pension as a teacher is much better. My employer didn't contribute at all before. As a teacher my job is more secure now and I get far more holidays. I have to admit that I think it is right that the pensions are changing. We are living longer and it needs to be affordable. I don't think it is right to impose changes on us during a pay freeze, but don't feel it is wrong in principle.
    Many of my friends in the private sector have lost their jobs and those that haven't have nearly all had their pensions changed. They do earn more, but work long hours too. Over the year they work more hours than me, because of my extra holidays. A lot of my friends also work in high stress jobs and don't get the benefit of the chance to recharge their batteries on such a regular basis as me. Having said that I work in a school where the management is pretty hands off, so I may not have to jump through all the hoops that others do.
    As I said, probably not a popular view, but still valid I think.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You can actually do a Law degree in two years ...

7. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

...and you don't need a law degree to be a lawyer.

8. Milgod

In no way is my post sexist. Are you denying that there are women teachers out there who decided to go into teaching because of the holidays fitting in with family life? I'm not saying it is a bad thing (I have done the same). You would find it a lot harder to change career to become a doctor or lawyer (at least a top one). I am a realist about teaching. The standards to become a teacher are too low.

9. I might be willing to see your point a bit more if the Government would commit to a public revaluation of the pension scheme to prove it's not sustainable, and if we hadn't already had pension reform a few years back to ensure the scheme remained sustainable in the long term.
    They won't do a revaluation because they would struggle to show it's not sustainable. They are attacking our pension because we are a weak target.

10. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

"How many teachers do you know who are women who decided to give it a go because it would fit in with holiday time? Do you think it would be so easy to become a lawyer or doctor like that?"

Is it sexist? A lot of female teachers I know did choose teaching for exactly that reason. Though obviously not all.

11. I wouldn't know about that - my husband stays at home with our kids while I work. Your specific mention of 'women teachers' changing jobs to suit family life very much suggests you are sexist - absolutely.

12. Milgod

No it isn't, you need to stop throwing words around you don't understand.
    It is a fact. Just talk to a range of teachers. I'm sure you will find a number of female teachers who have done so. There will be some male ones too, but fewer of them.

13. thehawk

Would saying "men teachers" be sexist too?

14. The idea that women 'give teaching a go' when they have a family is sexist, because the implication is that men would not do this, either because they don't need to fit in with looking after their families, or because they are less 'cavalier' in their approach to their careers.
    It is patronising because it implies that women become teachers because it 'fits in' with their family, rather than because they are passionate and committed to their job.

15. thehawk

I think yu can choose it for family convenience and be passionate about it.

16. thehawk

I chose the school I worked at as it was convenient fro travel. I am still committed to doing a good job for that school

17. So do I, but that isn't what Milgod was implying. The choice of words was either very poor, or the meaning was clear (and sexist/patronising).

18. thehawk

Women are still the primary carers in most families and have to choose careers more carefully than men for this reason, in my opinion.

19. Hmm - I really hope you never end up as Head in my (or any) school then. As a parent, I really hope you're not peddling that sort of twaddle to the girls you teach.

20. Milgod

Don't try and tell me what I was implying. I am passionate about my job and I chose it (partly) because it did fit in well with family life. You seem upset by the fact that I am right. I didn't say all female teachers, but you cannot deny that there are some who chose teaching because of the reasons I said. You are looking for a fight where there isn't one.