1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

why do schools keep on changing their names?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Corvuscorax, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

I have just seen an advert pop up in the margin of my page. A vacancy close to me I could be interested in. I didn't recognise the school name or the description, so have wasted several minutes of my life trying to work out where this school is. It is a school I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. I have known it for years as something else.

its not the only one. I just can't keep up locally. I know of 4 schools in my borough who have changed their name in the last couple of years, and one who has had at least 4 changes of name in 10 years.

We just call it the school formally known as ********* ( it's original name)

Apart from being impossible to keep up, and being confusing, I was also in a situation of having to make a statement to the police recently, and several school pupils, not perpetrators, but victims and witnesses, were involved in the same incident, and I couldn't tell the police for sure where they were from, and this has left them at some risk.

2. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

That's your answer.
    It's the Windscale/Sellafield thing.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

but it doesn't deceive anyone. I t just causes massive inconvenience

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Usually the school changes its name when it's taken over by a new MAT.

Lara mfl 05 and phlogiston like this.
  5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Or when it needs a reboot.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The name changes when the MAT that owns it needs the school uniform part of their business boosting!

nomad likes this.
  7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Changing the name distances the MAT from the distorts result of the previous school and, of course , with the same staff and students, miraculously means outstanding results the following year;)

I know of one school which went through 4 different Academy ‘ ownerships’ with increasingly disastrous results.

They couldn’t change the name as an earlier PFI new build had built in the name of the school into the brickwork on the front:p.
    Thus ‘proving’ that the name change is what makes a difference ;)

Lara mfl 05, Corvuscorax and tenpast7 like this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I always ignored schools that had recently changed names when I was job seeking...

01ade, phlogiston and afterdark like this.
  9. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

It ruins navigating instructions: Turn left at Setemup Primary, keep straight till the Dog&Duck, then third exit and on to AllHopeLost Academy before a pint at Journeys End. Pub names do not only change but they also move the names of popular old haunts to new buildings miles away.

10. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Academies change their names because rebranding is seen (by the peeps on large salaries) as good way of spending money. Whereas paying teachers (employees) is not.

11. lizziescat

Oh there are much better ways of justifying academisation and of spending money .
    You can replace the curtains of large spaces, hall, dining hall, staff room offices (some of these windows = 30’ high ) Repaint key areas in corporate colours, have professionally made 10 x14 feet hoardings, pictures and photographs plastered onto external walls. Replace staging and curtains with high spec stuff in corporate colours.....
    ......and all just 10 months before the school is knocked down as the new build is handed over

12. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

Reminds me of Triggers New Broom, in Only Fools and Horses.

13. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

You rename the school so that the last OFSTED report doesn't come up in a Google search.

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05, bevdex and 7 others like this.
  14. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

My last school had five different names in 27 years.

15. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

On application forms, we have to list any previous names. I think schools should be required to do so also. Name changes are for spivs.

blue451 likes this.
  16. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Who is justifying academisation? How?

17. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Why do companies change their name, usually because they have gone out of business, bankrupt, insolvency or they have done something illegal, leaving loads of debt. I can see lots of similarities to schools changing their name.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  18. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Change the name remove the shame

19. lizziescat

Academies

20. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

On this thread?