1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Why do politicians fail to grasp how much skill is needed to be a great teacher?'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Everyone has seen a teacher in action. Superficially it appears straight forward, the delivery of a certain body of knowledge or developing the students' skills. But every teacher is different with different teaching styles and methods.

The skill comes from adaption of your methods to suit the particular group or even individual students within it.

The skill comes from keeping a clear objective in mind and shepherding a group of contrasting and disparate young people towards it.

The skill comes from a continuous evaluation of everything you do all of the time to ensure students are learning effectively, are engaged and motivated and, hopefully, working with you.

As OFSTED has conceded by abolishing individual ratings of lessons these are skills that simply cannot be measured and evaluated. Unless you've taught for a meaningful amount of time you'd have no idea these skills actually exist. Well that's my view. What do colleagues think?

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Because it suits them not to

delnon likes this.
  3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

the objective is frequently (hardly ever?) not even the same for every member of the class in front of a you either.
    but i agree continuous evaluation of what is happening virtually every minute that you are working. That used to be called using your professional judgement.

delnon and wanet like this.
  4. Inspirit

Inspirit Occasional commenter

I wish more people realised this... And how crucially important it is!

5. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

One of the problems is that our (not very bright) politicians believe their own propaganda,

install likes this.
  6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Everything that happens in schools must be measured and data collected.

Politicians of successive governments want to believe that it's possible to measure how good a teacher is using the simplest possible methods and no matter how much research is done to prove that these 'methods' are wrong, they will refuse to believe it.

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The simplest method is just to look at exam performance - as we say, you're only as good as your last set of results.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Ah, but not all teachers produce exam results.

JL48 likes this.
  9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

and I like to think that the students play a role in achieving their exam results.

delnon and phlogiston like this.
  10. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Because it doesn't bring in any money.

delnon likes this.
  11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

We will do!

12. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

They do recognise great teachers - but only those teaching at private schools. The rest are common plebs who should learn from those great teachers in private schools.

Shedman and phlogiston like this.
  13. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Did it start with Chris Woodhead? Was it 15000 inadequate teachers? The political agenda has been more obsessed with 'rooting out the bad teachers' than growing the good ones.
    David Cameron wanted the GTC destroyed because it had only removed a couple of dozen poor teachers, rather than because it had failed in its role of developing the teaching profession. Never mind that I, in a fairly small area was aware of heads (pre-academy) using normal disciplinary procedures to remove almost the same number.
    I suspect that there was also a touch of political vengeance as some of the Government and media felt there were issues left over from the dispute in the 80s.
    This is then combined with a powerful anti public service philosophy combined with a significant distaste for the electorate save in the run up to elections. Odd that MPs forget that they are public servants too!
    I am pessimistic about the way our society is developing.

wanet and delnon like this.
  14. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

I think the GTC's fate was sealed when it dared to criticise the government.

15. Skeptical_John

Skeptical_John New commenter

Politicians are well aware of how much skill is needed to be a great teacher. That's why they send their kids to private schools.

Shedman and JL48 like this.
  16. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Do Ofsted not give individual ratings for lessons or do they still rate them but only tell your management and not the teachers concerned?!

I was under the impression that SMT have a list of teachers they believe to be RI/good/outstanding and then Ofsted will see if they agree. Is that not the case any more?

17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

As far as I understand it OFSTED will rate the overall quality of teaching in a school but will not rate individual teachers.

install likes this.
  18. install

install Star commenter

If politicians recognised the skills of teachers then their fear may just be that that would then have to equate to the same financial rights that MPs enjoy.

Also the realisation that teaching is tough, tough, tough ...

phlogiston likes this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

Added to this of course there is the issue that some Headteachers don't grasp how difficult teaching is either. And some Heads are quick to demand results of teachers whilst not teaching themselves...

delnon, phlogiston and Compassman like this.
  20. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

ofsted are now far more interested in the management of a school than the teachers. The reasoning being that good managers will sort out the teaching given time in post. To some extent I agree with this, no one should be judging a teacher on 20 or 30 minutes.

Shedman likes this.