1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why Do People Hate Nigel Farage?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

It's a serious question. Watch the following short video:

Some go to great lengths to portray Farage as a right-wing extremist and a racist, yet the video above shows quite the opposite.

It's the EU who wanted to take extremist action and start bombing Syria indiscriminately, without first finding out the facts. Farage was against it. Cameron tried to push us into a war, no doubt to keep in with his EU cronies and future paymasters. We, the British public, said no. And let us never forget that it was under a Labour government that we went to war with Iraq again, under a false pretext.

In spite of being slandered by the Romanian representative, Farage shows himself to be anti-racist and calls the Romanians out on their ill-treatment of their Roma.

These aren't the actions of a right-wing extremist; they are more representative of typically left-wing views, which seem to be deemed as desirable. I see a levelheaded, fair statesman talking nothing but common sense, so I have to wonder, just what is it so many hate about Nigel Farage?

2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

No-one knows how many people even dislike or hate him. My view is it is very, very few.

Among the EU supporters and those part of its core, he is not only hated but downright detested and yes, they control much of the media and spin.

Despite this, Farage has almost singlehandedly earned the British people the right to a referendum. This is a colossal achievement whether you support his views or not but of course it is downplayed and wanted forgotten.

If we do leave the EU then the history books will have to, slowly but surely, acknowledge the political genius/impact of this man.

The main reason he is 'hated' now and there is no lessening of attempts to ridicule him is everyone knows when he is given air time or rather foolishly taken on in a debate about the EU, he will be winning more votes among the undecided to vote "NO'.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Nigel who?

mathsmutt and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

His 'man of the people' pose with a pint and a fag puts me off but, to be fair, I don't believe he is a ranting racist himself. Most of his followers seem to be though.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Seems to me that all political leaders are 'hated' in the UK.

Ed Milliband... David Cameron... Nick Clegg [who???] ... Jeremy Corbyn... Alex Salmond... Nicola Sturgeon...

I'm not sure it's hate, just the pettiness of modern day political discussion.

OMG A pigs head

OMG A bacon sandwich

OMG Eating a hot dog with knife and fork

OMG the hair etc...

guinnesspuss likes this.
  6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Hate no. Disagree with yes.

download-27.jpg

mathsmutt, TCSC47, sabrinakat and 3 others like this.
  7. silvaran

silvaran Occasional commenter

The 2011 EU position on Syria is here:

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/EN/foraff/122168.pdf

The EU stopped short of calling for military action in 2013 at the time when France, The US and Cameron were calling for a bombing campaign. the Labour party were against that campaign.

http://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-5369-2015-INIT/en/pdf

Blair was wrong on the Iraq war but it was a British decision to engage in that war and invade Iraq, your democratically elected parliament voted for it with a large majority. I'm certain that the EU was not advocating a military campaign against Saddam Hussein.

8. T34

T34 Established commenter

Nigel Farage, what an excellent man!

Vladimir likes this.
  9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Don't despise him at all, but many of his most vocal supporters are the problem.....

PS. I find the plethora of 'tags' used, e.g. Syria, Roma and Assad to be a bit odd, if the issue is about Nigel, though.

Orkrider2 likes this.
  10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Exactly.

Dragonlady30 and sabrinakat like this.
  11. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

On the other hand, many of his followers are 'old', or more accurately I suppose, traditional Labour voters who have become disillusioned.

I would describe myself as a euro sceptic, and I certainly don't think that makes me a ranting racist!

wanet likes this.
  12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

In real terms he has "appealed" to that cross-section of people from all political backgrounds who are displeased with/not supported by modern politics.

This does include a lot of racists, xenophobes and quite a few really extreme viewpoints.
    But a lot are just people who look back on the past with rosy specs

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

I suspect the Left are scared of him because he is taking a lot of traditional Labour votes so they respond by discrediting him in any way possible. If he can be successfully branded a racist that is as good a way as any of making people think twice before voting for him. He is equally feared by the Tories because he also has the potential to take a large number of their traditional votes. Thus he is crushed between the two best organised and best best funded party machines who will use any tactic they can to stop him. It is quite obvious really.

oldsomeman and Painted_Bird like this.
  14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm fairly old and I am neither a UKIP supporter or a racist!

15. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

not sure about the traditional labour supporters. i suspect ukip's voters are more tory than anything.

vannie, InkyP and Dragonlady30 like this.
  16. Vladimir

But he is a man of the people who puts Britain and British values at heart. Can you say the same of any other politician? Cameron is trying to con us, and failing, anyone representing the SNP couldn't give a damn about anything other than Scotland, the Lib Dems aren't even worth mentioning and all people will remember of them is that Clegg lied to students and last but not least, Comrade Corben wants to overrun the country with migrants and in doing so destroy every shred of British society.

17. Vladimir

I know one person who hates him, hates him and is running scared of him!

YOU'RE CHICKEN!': NIGEL FARAGE TAUNTS DAVID CAMERON AS TALKS ON HIS DEAL GO DOWN TO THE WIRE
    [​IMG]
    Nigel Farage has accused David Cameron of being a 'chicken' for dodging a planned meeting with him in Brussels tomorrow.

The Prime Minister was due to attend a meeting with the Ukip leader and other EU parliamentary group heads to discuss the package put forward for reforming Britain's relationship with Brussels.

But the Eurosceptic party leader claimed the premier had 'run away scared' after Downing Street said Mr Cameron was holding selected talks.

Mr Farage said: 'The Prime Minister is a chicken.

'I received my official documentation this morning to say that I was one of several meeting the PM tomorrow morning and he has now run away scared.

'Frankly I'm not surprised. Not only is the deal pitiful but he would not want me exposing the fact that even if he wins the referendum, the European Parliament will veto it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...istoric-referendum-stay-In.html#ixzz40G2euz00

18. Painted_Bird

Painted_Bird Senior commenter

Those people hate him because he goes to the very heart of their lies and exposes them.

Very true.

The main reason why they try so hard to starve him of media attention.

Vladimir likes this.
  19. Vladimir

Well, of course! He wipes the floor with anyone who dares to debate with him because he's right! Cameron has chickened out of a debate with him in Brussels. Farage will expose every lie Dave tells and every flaw in Dave's fake deal.

20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Is that why the video posted is....from 2013?