1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do management give 'naughty' children treats?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Kimchi_Pickle, Nov 16, 2012.

1. internationalschools

internationalschools New commenter

I've never been able to find anyone who had a justification for this which is based on what is good for the child in their future life as an adult. Most of these kids will enter the workplace at some point in their life, and in my view one of the roles of a teacher (especially at secondary level) is to teach them what behaviour is acceptable in the world. If we spoil these kids, they will be sacked on their first day at work. Far better to teach them that choices have consequences,as in the real world, swearing,fighting and refusing to obey instructions leads to a P45 rather than a play station.

2. QFT

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

QFT?

4. Hi

I was quite interested in this topic as I too have a management team that allow children to have hot drinks and chocolates to 'calm them down' whenever they are ushered out of my class. I find it very difficult that after disrupting my entire lesson that children should be given rewards - its almost like pandering to what they want.
    The result? A child swaggering back into my lesson (y6) and saying "Guess what? HT gave me some tea and biscuits"
    Rest of the class were outraged and I completely agree with what one child (who has excellent behaviour) said in my class if I am honest -
    If two people murdered someone, one went to prison and one got tea and biscuits - the UK wouldn't have a justice system would it? I mean that's not real justice.
    Enough said.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Quoted for truth. I had to look it up.

6. john_hollinder

john_hollinder New commenter

I haven't worked for 6 months now since my last head treated all us teachers like kids but what she did do was reward all the naughty pupils and forget about the good ones. I don't think it's right not to reward kids who go up and beyond. She just gave us lectures on rewards bad kids because it makes them feel better. All it did was make them spoilt and boast to everyone that they get rewards. I heard one pupil once saying that you should act up in class because Mrs Ludrown, my ex-head teacher, would give you sweets.

7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

We should sit all badly behaved children in front of powerpoints detailing right from wrong and watch them become saints.

8. Primary_RE_teacher

Primary_RE_teacher Occasional commenter

Why do management give 'naughty' children treats?

I do not know but it is stupid.

Ps. I am new today!