1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do LGBT campaigners want to sexualise Primary schools?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

See post #99.

2. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Established commenter

Perhaps you need reminding of two things.

Newspapers do not like publishing corrections and clarifications.

IPSO is predicated on resolving issues by mediation. Complaints are received and the complaint is forwarded to the press organisation so that they can review and go through their procedures. The complainant and the press organisation are encouraged to talk to one another in order to resolve the issues without the need for IPSO to make a judgment on a breach of the IPSO code. Should the mediation fail then IPSO would start an investigation.

In this case once IPSO started an investigation "The Times" decided to offer a clarification to the article both in the paper and online as mediation. The offer was to clarify that

1) No court order had been placed on Mermaids contacting the family merely that the judge had asked for there to be no further contact with the family* Indeed Mermaids had never been a party at the proceedings.

Of course, Mermaids, being responsible, agreed to have no further contact at this point.

ie The story in the Mirror and the Times was factually incorrect on this point.

2)

Both the Times and the Mirror reported that Mermaids offered "same day cross sex hormone treatment". Mermaids complained about this reporting as it was factually incorrect and as the article itself pointed out this would be against NHS Guidelines had it done so.

On this second point, both the Mirror and the Times were factually incorrect.

The Times agreed to publish a clarification making corrections to the original article that there had been a court order and that Mermaids had offered same day "Cross Sex" hormone treatment.

The fact that IPSO never determined whether there was a breach or not as a guide to whether a breach was made is to misunderstand IPSO's role in mediating disputes. Almost all complaints are resolved at mediation, that does not mean that a breach did or did not occur.

Out of interest
    What relevance is there to the Dr, who could under certain conditions prescribe hormone blockers as per NHS guidelines, being foreign?

*This could have been for many reasons. One, of course, not making any family disputes etc potentially more difficult to resolve in the future. The actual reason we are unlikely to ever find out.

3. ridleyrumpus

Obviously not.

May I suggest that you are looking at a table and projecting your own prejudices onto it. The report does not reach the conclusions that you seem desperate to project onto that table.

4. ridleyrumpus

Please expand and explain what it is that you mean by this.

5. exploration

exploration New commenter

What an appalling comment. ‘Imposed’? Is that what you feel about all people who are LGBT? We are educating for goodness sakes, not imposing. If educating people on minorities is imposing views, what is your viewpoint on black literature or the rights of minority ethnicities? You come across as outrageously homophobic. I can’t quite believe you have the audacity to post such a hateful comment.

agathamorse and blueskydreaming like this.
  6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

perhaps I was lucky to grow up at a time when all of this sexual orientation stuff was a private matter between you and your pillow. I've never felt the need to march with placards declaring my private feelings. And no, I don't think that it should ever have been a matter for the courts if carried out in private by consenting persons of the agreed legal age.