1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do interviews always seem to start at 8am?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by silverstars, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Why do schools do this when they know they have invited candidates from other parts of the counrty? I'm going to be leaving the house at 3.30am on Monday for an interview and I know there is no way I'll be able to perform at my best with the lack of sleep and all of the stress of trying to make my connections in time. Don't schools want to see candidates at their best? The last interview I had was just the same and I decided to stay in a hostel the night before only to find out that school would pay only travel expenses and not accommodation. I just can't afford it again... and having to pack and organise everything a day in advance didn't really help with the stress anyway, I couldn't sleep for worrying that I'd forgotten something. What's wrong with an afternoon appointment?

2. I can offer a bed for anybody in the North East and I'm sure others in other areas would be willing to accommodate fellow teachers.
    I'm a keen cyclist and we have a site which offers free/cheap bed or camping space for fellow cyclists.

3. That is so kind! I wish I had considered such possibilities before I booked the coach...

4. I might take you up on that some time! Whereabouts are you? I'll be looking in Northumberland.

5. I have to agree. I've been on an interview with other applicants and learnt that the people most local to the job (less than 2 miles, including myself) were the last to be interviewed and observed, whilst one applicant from a considerable distance away was the first one in at 8.55am!
    As the last person to be observed, I started the interview process at 10.55am and my day was finished by 3.20am. I could easily get there by 8.55am, with no worries! Hmmm....

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ideally yes, but they can't organise their days based on the travel arrangements of one candidate.
    There quite possibly isn't time to get through everything in an afternoon. If there are 6 candidates all wanting a tour of the school, then teaching a lesson and then being interviewed, there is no way a school can get though all that in an afternoon.

It isn't a school's fault you can't sleep the night before for worrying, you can't afford a night in a B&B, you live a long way away, packing adds to stress for you.

7. At my last interview more than half of the candidates had come from as far as I had, or further.

It may not be the school's 'fault' that this is difficult, however a school that chooses to interview candidates from all over the country ought to see that it is in their own best interests to make it as a painfree as possible, so that they can see the candidates at their best. Otherwise its a waste of travel expenses for the school, surely.

I might also add that despite arriving at 8am for my last interview, I did not leave till after 6pm and there was still one person waiting after me... I think that the schools must have a duty to organise themselves better than that.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't know if you're primary or secondary but as a secondary head I've always either offered candidates coming from a long way the opportunity to stay in a hotel overnight (paid by the school) and/or arranged the day's activities so that they can be interviewed first and then leave if they wish.
    By inviting them to stay overnight it means we've been able to start at 8.30 (never earlier), but then they can leave immediately after finishing all their activities if we interview them first.
    Makes sense to me.

9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I was interviewed at a school very close to where I live, and they scheduled me for the first interview slot, whereas a candidate coming from several hours away was offered the latest interview slot. So some schools can be accommodating!

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You need to convince yourself that being 'high' on lack of sleep is a good thing! Good luck - spend the time travelling talking to yourself about all the possible issues up for discussion in interview, which I find the best way of preparing for interview.

11. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

Have you actually asked to be interviewed later and been turned down or are you assuming that they will look at where each candidate is from, work out how long it will take to get there and then put them in order?