1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do I love my cats?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax20, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

They are messy and expensive. They probably smell terrible, which I can't tell, having lost my sense of smell from covid. They are forever digging their claws in, when they are dozing on my lap and something startles them, like a dream, or a sound from the TV. my thighs are peppered with little red cuts. They rip down the wall paper and pee or the carpet. They turn their nose up at lovely food I bring them home, having told me the week before that it was the only brand they would consider eating from now on, and waiting until I have bulk bought it. They put mouse entrails in my shoes. Come on, what friend would you forgive for putting bloody mouse entrails in your best work shoes? They steal my food food and chew it and spit it out. They take up most of my bed and leave me sleeping around the edge. They cover everything clean in hair. They knock everything over on the kitchen side. They jiggle my elbow when I am trying to make a hot drink. They get in the way so I can't see the telly. Now I am trying to go to sleep so I can wake up in time to get some stuff done before the breakfast shift, and they are jumping up and down on my head. Both of them..

Why?

Also, why can't I resist their furry little face and mad purring?

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Because you have been enslaved,just like anyone else who shares their life with a cat or two.

Sally006, lardylady, Marshall and 3 others like this.
  3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

As someone who has never been enslaved by a cat, I suggest you must be mad to put up with it. Cats coming anywhere near my garden get sent packing pronto. I have no time for them.
    Now dogs... That’s a different kettle of fish entirely.

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Guinea pigs are the way to go! :D

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You're lucky-my cat does all of that but also keeps walking over my ke5$%$4@@!28yue29b:cool:£$;'['oiuuyboard.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Time spent with a cat is never time wasted. ( Freud ). I rest my case.

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I have never understood the appeal of cats. I just don't get it.

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I feel your pain, @Corvuscorax , especially when they dig their claws in. But the answer to your question is "Because they are your cats and they have hypnotized you." ;)

Marshall likes this.
  9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

kittens are generally beautiful in a way that appeals to human eyes. That is their allure, I think. Of the cats that I've been attached to, though, the ones I've loved the most have been the ones whose behaviour most approximated to that of dogs.

Marshall likes this.
  10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I don't just not get the appeal of a cat as a pet, I actively don't like them. Especially when they carp on my garden.

11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I hope you don't still throw boiling water on them, @Aquamarina1234 ...

12. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You have toxoplasmosis, probably from a cat.

14. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

You love your cats because you are a rational human being. Cats are beautiful, intelligent and lovely to stroke.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And give you toxoplasmosis.

EmanuelShadrack and sbkrobson like this.
  16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It has taken me over a year to get anywhere near understanding Tigger, and I had known him from a kitten as he was formerly an inhabitant of my daughters. When I moved she asked me if I would take him as he was a bit of a ruffian and beat up his brother and her dog. He disappeared for 24 days when I first let him out (after 17 days confinement, much hiding under things, and slow introduction to the house). He had worms when he came back vomming them up on the carpet (not the wipeable hard floor in the kitchen) and had to go to the vet who told me he was overweight at 4.6 kilos (he is a big bruiser and not fat, just big boned). He is bloody fickle, liking that rubbish wafer thin processed ham as a treat, but turns his nose up at a bit of steak, or roast lamb. This morning I put my panini down and had a sip of tea, turned back and there he was licking the cheese off my panini (Primula toothpaste cheese, he loves that too)! He brings mice in and lets the damn things go, and has had voles, shrews and even a flaming long-eared bat! (How the hell he got that I have no idea.) His claws are sharp and he will unpredictably grab my arm, bite and claw. At first I got badly scratched but I am wise to him now and push back grabbing him round the chest. He does play football with a table tennis ball. Sometimes he goes out for ages, sometimes not. Sometimes he is vocal. Sometimes he will lie on top of me if I lie down for a kip. Sometimes he will get on my knee and do the kneading thing, but his claws are sharp. I rarely pick him up, I think cats are too dignified for that. He makes me laugh. He is bonkers, rude, feisty, and attention seeking and thinks he's a catholic (because he gets fish on Fridays). Currently, as winter approaches and we have had a lot of rain, his coat is very thick and soft, unless he has been sneaking in the bathroom and nicking the head and shoulders. I cannot detect any smell (he goes out to poop). I never wanted a cat. I still want a dog, but this is his home now, the area is safe away from any busy roads with just a single road through the village, lots of houses with big gardens, woods and fields very close; a cat paradise. I don't think he has a second home, although there are loads of old folks round here. I can see why cats domesticated themselves because we humans are stupid enough to give them a home and feed them just to be treated with disdain. I'd miss him if he went.

17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Ever heard of parargraphs, Ivar? I gave up on your post because I couldn't be bothered with such a great wodge of prose.

18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Well thanks for your bout of pedantophilia. You didn't have to (attempt to) read it. (Why don't you "correct" it for me? You must be a teacher!)

guinnesspuss likes this.
  19. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Other people's My Wonderful Cat posts are, um, boring.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I seldom catch them in the act.