1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do I feel like this?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by waitingforthepost, Mar 11, 2011.

1. waitingforthepost

waitingforthepost New commenter

We've just had an Ofsted in our school and achieved a Satisfactory. I am a very positive member of staff and put lots of effort into my running my department and contribute lots on a wider school level. Our school seems to be split into depts who always try hard and those who frankly do not care and blame the students for their poor performance. In our feedback session today it seems that some of those have raised their game on the day to gain positive feedback. This is good for the school but on the rest of the days when they are not being watched it is not exactly a secret that they do not put the work in and it is up to the rest of us to keep the students motivated and engaged.

I know I should feel happy for the school that Ofsted have seen good lessons but I am so frustrated and demotivated that it is these depts that contribute to the lack of student engagement overall and lead us to being a satisfactory school. I want our school to succeed and work like a trojan. I care about our students every day and not just when Ofsted are around.

Any ideas about how I can get myself over this and positive steps I can take within the school? I really do not want to leave because I care about our students and have a great relationship with all those who I teach. Advice please!

2. afterdark

afterdark Occasional commenter

When I first started teaching, yonks ago, my head of department said to me "you have to put on a show". Whilst I balked at this I "played the game".
    You need to play the game too. Why? you may think. Well OFSTED assume that every lesson that they see is a put on show, whilst they may deny this...if they didn't then they would never uttered their famous "satisfactory is not good enough"statement. If you do not try your hardest to impress when OFSTED arrive then you are doing yourself , your department and your school a disservice.
    In mathematical modelling terms, currently your energy is being spread evenly over the school year. However, the 'slackers' efforts are not and therefore they can put a lot more effort in one or two show lessons that tick the inspectors' tick box sheet and pander the latest OFSTED fads.
    It is necessary to rub the inspectors noses in everything you do that is good. Refute/Deny any negative assertion that they make.
    One great way to put a rocket up the arzez of those staff that slack and blame the students is to introduce a feedback system from the students. Of course someone in the SMT should be picking up on what is happening by going through exam results. Perhaps you might want to look into this.
    If these colleagues are blaming the students for their failings then, perhaps you ought to bring the novel idea of "why are these staff allow the children to fail?" and "what do they do about failing students?" Wait until the end of the year? And if this happens every year, what exactly do the SMT do about it?Overall try to apply the 80/20 principle. Brand your work so that lazy blighters cannot easily lay claim to your hard work.
    Finally, accept what cannot be changed and do not run yourself into the ground. Take time for yourself. Look after youself...that puts you in a better position to be able to look after your weekday charges.
    The very last bit was of the best bits of advice that I had ever had.

3. I'm sorry but i'd advise against this. I find fewer things as stomach-turning as when in a school the Maths department complains that Humanities don't work half as hard as they do, but Humanities say they work loads more than D&T etc.