1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do I always cry...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lardylady, Jun 17, 2011.

1. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Oh and I mustn't forget the gut wrenching end of West Side Story

2. That scene, yes, and the Railway Children one.
    Any well executed film where Jane Eyre returns to Edward Rochester.
    A film called "Grandpa" always gets me.
    Drop Dead Fred- where Lizzie and Fred say goodbye.
    The list is endless.

3. The death of Joy Adamson's pet Pati-Pati in 'Born Free' - the book - and when Elsa the lioness returns to show off her cubs. I blubbed.
    Lassie films - any *sniff sniff*

4. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

In all honesty you'd be better off asking me what I DON'T cry at! My answer, Ghost and Notting Hill, apparently I am an oddity on both counts but they are the only two "weepies" or even non "weepies" I can think of that not only don't make me cry but leave me cold.
    Normally it matters not a jot HOW many times I've seen something, the knot in the thraoat and all other familiar symptoms of saftness pounce on me with abandon.xx

5. Not shameful at all. Last sentences of both 'Of Mice and Men' and 'Mockingbird' used to render me sobfull.Even if I managed to get a student to read them. Oops, just noticed that thread was about visual media - get me!

6. Not many. I have mentioned before the scene in A Night To remember when the stiff-upper-lipped father who appears all the way through to have a cold, distant relationship with his son, who always seems aware of what a disappointment he is to his father, witnesses his boy, barely into adolescence, give up his seat on the lifeboat to a lady. Staring straight out to sea, he says to the boy "I've been proud of you all your life but never more so than tonight." Boy's lip quivers slightly. I am choking up just thinking of it.
    And the end of Forrest Gump.

7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I can never read The Happy Prince without howling, and once had to leave an assembly because the HT was telling it to the school and I could feel myself wobbling! And as for The Nightingale and the rose...[​IMG]

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Choking? You are a hard woman, lily... [​IMG]

9. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Christmas Shoes, I know it's a corny film but I cry buckets at various points in it. I have the song on a Christmas CD and cry everytime I hear it.

10. few will know 'martin pippin inthe daisy field' - but there is a story in there 'elsie piddock skips in her sleep' and neither me nor my brother have ever managed to read it to our kids without crying

11. Love Actually has 3 blubbing moments for me.
    1. When Emma Thompson's character goes in the bedroom after she discovers the present isn't a necklace and realises her husband is having and affair..I think its the Joni Mitchell track that sends me over the edge.
    2. When the bloke ( who was in Teachers) walks away after declaring love to Keira Knightley and says "Enough now"
    3. When Colin Firth bursts goes striding down the streets to propose.
    Sliding Doors gets me everytime.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Me too. Everytime,any version.

13. Phwew - was not the only one who misread opening message. The book is always better than the film anyway. Discuss ...

14. Hearing " From a Distance " sung by Nanci Griffith whilst watching shots of the Planet Earth as seen from space.
    * choke*

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,that one too.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The Bridges of Madison County when Meryl Screech lets Clint Eastwood go even though she wants him so much. Daddy my daddy in the Railway children and the end of the Elephant Man when he says he wants to put his head down and you know once he does he will die.

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes. That bit when she's in the truck at the traffic lights!

18. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Another one for Emma Thompson in Love Actually here.
    Also, Cool Runnings - when the Jamaican team carry their bobsled over the finish line.
    ET - when he goes home
    Shawshank - when Andy and Red meet on the beach at the end
    [​IMG]

19. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

That's heartbreaking!

And Truly Madly Deeply

20. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fky1dfANPiI

Okay, it's Bette Midler but...