1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do dog owners/walkers...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

This thread has taken a very smutty path of late. :eek:

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I am just waiting for crotch sniffing to be incorporated into TES meets. :D

cissy3 likes this.
  3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I wouldn't recommend sniffing anywhere near the nether regions of my old dog at the moment. He is much loved but certainly doesn't smell any sweeter as he ages!

4. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

I had this thread in mind earlier as I whiled away an hour, waiting for my van in the garage, by walking one of my monsters around town. Through the busy shopping area, around a couple of historic open air sites and down along the side of the river. We had to keep stopping so that people could say hello to him! He enjoyed the aircon in the garage when we got back too, sitting legs akimbo in my lap

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    primarycat and bombaysapphire like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Such is the way of all TES threads.

Back on subject nomad could take a sausage to distract the doggies. Everyone loves a meaty sausage.

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

My boy is a rescue with an unhappy history. We got him aged 4 and he’s now 9 and set in his ways. He’s a nervous ned and is afraid of other dogs and strangers. We have spent s lot of money on training and even a behaviourist and the consensus has been to just try and limit interactions which we do. He has his yellow bandana and a basket muzzle. He is always on lead but it’s stressful when other dogs aren’t so we tend to have long early morning or late evening walks with him.
    Has anyone mentioned the ‘dog whisperers’ yet? Those helpful souls who when you explain that you have a nervous dog, try to pet them even though you beg them not too. I hate those a s s holes.

7. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Oooh errr missus!

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Yep, had those. The "all dogs love me" type. Our old boy is a lot better now but we had to beg people to leave him alone in the past. It didn't always work.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    vannie likes this.
  9. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

Oh god yeah, the ‘it’s ok I have a way with dogs’ well meaning but none the less forcing themselves on the dog that you’ve spent months showing that he has choices and it’s ok for him to choose whether and when he approaches people that visit/come up to him.

My littlest is a very sociable lad, but with a lot of mental baggage and knowing that he (and hte other two) have choices is very important for their confidence, he has to observe and decide for himself who he wants fussing him. I took him into a friend’s record shop whilst she was at work last week and to see the great waggy bum the second he realised who it was (not been there before) made my day.

(That’s not to say they have the choice to charge up to people too, they have choices and make them within an environment of good manners and appropriate restraint, self and via their lead)

vannie likes this.
  10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

We have 3 beautiful but intellectually challenged Cocker Spaniels. Our choice, no one else's therefore our responsibility. We clear up after them in the street and we would be horrified if they jumped up on anyone. Outside of our home and garden they are always on a lead. Our daughter never threw herself at other dogs but would ask the owner for permission. She had been brought up with dogs, but knew she should never just approach another dog. TBH, if an unknown dog jumped at me, I'd be a lot less than pleased.