1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do dog owners/walkers...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The gardens round here are small. I had some success with putting plastic forks in the grass and borders, but it does rather restrict the children, ie those whom i wd prefer used the garden for recreation than toileting. Call me picky.

smoothnewt likes this.
  2. josienig

josienig Lead commenter

I love dogs but am afraid of dogs I don't know..I have a few scars on my right leg to justify that fear. (All from childhood and they always attacked from the right :))

My pet :rolleyes: hate is the dog owner who, when their unleashed dog bounds up to me on the beach and I'm obviously uncomfortable/ petrified/ somtimes in tears depending on the size or behaviour of said dog, gaily declare 'It's alright, he's just being friendly, he won't touch you'...

ilovesooty, racroesus, vannie and 3 others like this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I sympathise, josienig - I'm not in the least nervous of dogs, but my daughter is very frightened. She would be the first to say there's no reason for her fears, but she can't get over it. She's very fit and a regular runner. In the huge park she often runs in, she purposely chooses a route where dogs must be kept on leads. Sadly, many owners think this doesn't apply to them … she frequently has a dog bounding around her with the owner calling exactly the same as you have quoted. Sunshinejunior (who is terrified by this) has no qualms about shouting, 'Please restrain your dog. Did you not see the sign?' which seems to cause enormous offence!!!!

4. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

This paragraph from the great Bill Bryson's Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe.

I don't know why it is but something about me incites dogs to a frenzy. I would be a rich man if I had a nickel for every time a dog tried to get at the marrow in my ankle bone while the owner just stood there and said "Well, I just don't understand it, he's never done anything like this before. You must have said something to him." That always knocks me out. What would I say to a dog? "Hello, boy, like to open a vein in my leg?"

5. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

My bugbear is the extending lead. I can understand why owners might like them on country walks - but in the town centre? They’re everywhere.

A dog owner was walking a bit behind me the other day when I decided to cross the road. I turned and tried to take a step forward to find my way barred by the long lead he was holding - the dog on the other end was away ahead. I had to stand and wait until he had passed. He seemed quite unaware that he was inconveniencing me - but he’s not alone. I’ve been involved in other, similar scenarios. Should dogs not be kept under better control on busy city streets?

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd love to have a dog but we both work. Our cat takes care of himself most of the time.

7. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Don't know about their dogs but I find dog owners to be the friendliest people in the UK (or at least in my part) at the moment. The only ones who bother to stop and say hello and have a chat. Everyone else it seems (if not in their car) is plugged into their earphones,gaze fixed straight ahead,not seeing or acknowledging their fellow pedestrians.A sad state of affairs to be honest. And if I have to put up with a bit of drool or the occasional muddy paw print on my pristine white trousers then its well worth it.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

People who let their dogs slobber on you and then demonise you when you show irritation are essentially exactly the same people who allow their small children to break things which are not theirs when out in public , and exactly the same people who go into tiny crowded shops with an enormous protruding rucksack on their back, and exactly the same people who stand very close to you in an enormous open space making a loud phone call, and exactly the same people who park across two bays when others are driving around repeatedly searching an elusive space.
    I sometimes think that kids who interrupt your lesson when teaching,and then demonise you when you show irritation are also exactly the same people, but who have not yet made the choice which of the above they would like to turn out to be.
    Clearly the next time a dog slobbers on you when out walking and the owner chastises you for objecting, you just need to remember how badly they were taught.

Of course the (completely unrelated) best response is to follow the dog and slobber on it. You could also rub a little mud on the owner's trousers and then dance around them just out of reach. In the unlikely event of this being badly received because you have stumbled across a grumpy owner, it will be polite to explain that you are just being friendly.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  9. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Those passers-by are at least alert to the way ahead.:D Many I spot on my travels have their eyes glued to the phones in their hands and I will sometimes wait and see whether they actually collide with the lamp-post directly in their path.

towncryer and nomad like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D

Some excellent advice! Thank you.

Jesmond12 and sbkrobson like this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I purchased a couple of very realistic rubber snakes from Amazon to place on the lawn which scared cats away for months.

Ivartheboneless and smoothnewt like this.
  12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

You could grow cucumbers. Vats are terrified of them.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We tried that on ours... he just stared at us as if to say "really?"

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Surely you mean "vuvumbers"?

nomad and primarycat like this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Dogs are stupid on the whole, but the owners are often "stupider". I don't actually mind dogs really, but I am still should I/shouldn't I with regard to getting one in my old age. Dogs should be properly trained so as to not jump up at people, or have a go at other dogs. Some breeds are better than others. Cats just treat everyone with disdain, but at least they are consistent.

16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I have two lovely lurchers (greyhound x whippet) and another greyhound cross that I can't work out. Used to have a full grey too. They recall very well and are very social being favourites in the local bar. We walk on a near-empty beach every morning. If I encounter such people, or those with their yappy little dogs off the lead, I just let mine go and they sort things out very quickly. Only hiccup so far was an unpleasant little terrier that they picked up and threw about 20 feet. Thankfully it survived. I expect it is kept on the lead now around other dogs.

vannie and stanley4shoes like this.
  17. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

OK OK I know I perhaps should not have.....but I was getting tired so much of dogs attacking me while I was jogging and owners doing the usual 'oh he is just being friendly, besides you can always hop' that I bought a high frequency whistle that could be activated by button.

So hidden in my trouser pocket .....dog starts running towards me....activate....and it suddenly does a quick U turn and belts it.

The most amusing part was watching the owners as they are trying to work out if I kicked the dog or what.

You can get a bit silly and childish yourself though.

One owner did want to have a go at me 'you must have kicked him' so as we chatted I pushed the whistle again and the dog ran off....the owner running to get the dog too......sorry but I still laugh even as I type this!!

18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

OOH! Sounds like the answer to Nomad's problem? Where do you get them from then?

BertieBassett2 and nomad like this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You are quite right.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Shouldn't they be muzzled?